Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:
I am in the planning stages of a background of a 60 gallon corner tank (paludarium/swamp tank). The corner of the tank (center) has an overflow. I plan on doing a GS background on the tank sides and am thinking of using zoo med cork tile to cover the overflow. I have never used this before and have a few questions. Is it easy to cut? Can it bend? Does it look natural? I am trying to make this overflow look like a tree trunk? Let me know what you think? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Cork tile is actually pretty ridged and won't bend to the profile of the overflow very well. I suggest you use virgin cork bark and silicone that onto the overflow. There are many pieces that do have a similar curve and it would look nicer and be easier. If you can't find any large pieces, use chunks and align them so that the bark patterns are all verticle. You can silicone or Great Stuff it secure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Weene. Where do you purchase "virgin cork bark?" I have seen cork tile and cork bark but never virgin cork bark.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Cork tile is actually pretty ridged and won't bend to the profile of the overflow very well. I suggest you use virgin cork bark and silicone that onto the overflow. There are many pieces that do have a similar curve and it would look nicer and be easier. If you can't find any large pieces, use chunks and align them so that the bark patterns are all verticle. You can silicone or Great Stuff it secure.
thank you i see too many cork bark back grounds going the wrong way :mad:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happyfrogger....how difficult is it to remove any overflow? How do you go about doing that? Thank you!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I actually used coco fiber sheets. I bought them from ebay and they were about 1/4 inch thick. I bought them in roll form and cut them to fit my overflows. I had two to cover. I used silicon to attach them to the overflows. They worked well, and I place plants on them. The roots grow into the fibers very easily. The only difficulty I had was I had to hold the fiber on the curved edges for about twenty minutes for the silicon to dry enough to hold them. In some places I placed braces to hold it to the overflow until it dried. It looks very nice now with the plants attached. I hope this helps, Johnny

·
Registered
586 Posts
virgin cork bark is any type of cork bark that hassint been proceseed. Zoomed actually markets it BUT its pretty expensive. You can try your local reptile show or even ordering bulk amounts online through our sponsors.

Removing the overflow takes a lot of time and patience. You have to cut the silicone but be careful not to break any glass. People who have done it report at least a few hours time into it. If you did remove the overflow, you could plumb a drain and run a fogger from the bottom up which is ideal.

If you want a nice tank put some time into it and remove the overflow and get a mixed style background. Use some cork bark, epiweb or tree fern panel and some clay. Taking out the overflow will give you a lot more room and less risk of frogs getting into the back.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Happyfrogger....how difficult is it to remove any overflow? How do you go about doing that? Thank you!
Its not that difficult. It took me about an hour maybe. Just cut the silicon around the sides and bottom and apply a little pressure and it comes right off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts