Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
just curious about R. imitator intermedius. I've just obtained a beautiful sexed pair of R. imitator intermedius and it is my first thumnail species. i've worked successfully with tinctorius and auratus in the past.
my question concerns courting behavior in R. imitator. when i obtained the pair and put them in the tank the male was calling within an hour. he has been calling for at least 3 days and i'm just curious if the courting process is much longer with R. imitator on average than the frogs i've worked with. in my experience with tinc, once i see courting its usually the same day to see an egg clutch by the end of the day. i haven't seen eggs anywhere in the tank. i have cans, bromeliads, broad leaf plants and have inspected all and he is still calling. is this common for R. imitator or do you guys and girls think it might simply be a non responsive female. i have plenty of patience and can listen to calling all day, just curious if courting can take a long time with this particular morph. thanks in advance for any ideas.love the thumnails. so hard to spot in the tank but they are such a different frog from tincts.glad i added them to my active projects.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Male imitators call all the time, and their regular call isn't used exclusively for advertising a willingness to breed like in many darts. A large part of the calling is to establish and defend territories. Actual courting takes a couple hours in an established pair. The call is often softer and the male leads the female around while stroking his back and legs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine do they same thing! He will call all day, but there seems to be no courting at all! This has been going on for the last 5 days! Hopefully they will court and lay soon :) Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Male imitators call all the time, and their regular call isn't used exclusively for advertising a willingness to breed like in many darts. A large part of the calling is to establish and defend territories. Actual courting takes a couple hours in an established pair. The call is often softer and the male leads the female around while stroking his back and legs.
thanks chris. i'm familiar with the females following the males and the back stroking. i've also heard different volumes to the call so i'll keep a close eye on them. i appreciate the response.thanks again

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine do they same thing! He will call all day, but there seems to be no courting at all! This has been going on for the last 5 days! Hopefully they will court and lay soon :) Good luck with yours!
good luck to you too. i'm loving these little guys. glad i picked them up and added them to my collection.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yah your welcome! I wasn't much of a help at all haha I'm sorry. And yah they are awesome! Let me know what happens with them. I'd love to hear:) Thanks

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
My imi has 3 seperate "calls". The territorial call, the breeding call, and the "hey get over here and feed these tadpoles"call. You get to the point where you know what they are up to just from hearing their call volume and duration. When I hear rapid succession calling thats very loud I know its the feed your kids call.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My imitator only has one call, it's "Woman, get over here and make me a fly sandwich". :D
Jk ladies!
My imi has 3 seperate "calls". The territorial call, the breeding call, and the "hey get over here and feed these tadpoles"call. You get to the point where you know what they are up to just from hearing their call volume and duration. When I hear rapid succession calling thats very loud I know its the feed your kids call.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My imis also have the same distinct "calls", so I know what they are up to whenever the male is using his three different "calls". I also use a recording on my iphone, which is the territorial call, and whenever I played this you can see the male jumping around the viv and calling back as if he was protecting his territory. They really are fun to watch.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I don't have Imitators but rather "Highland" variabillis. I can tell you that if your Imi's are anything like my Variabilis then you will get 5-6 days of no breeding then a clutch of 6-8 eggs then calling for another 5-6 day's and then a clutch. I have only had my male for 15 days and already have had 3 clutches (All bad unfortunately). My male just doesn't shut up ever. But I have learned that if I mist before lights on I usually see a clutch some point before the days over.

Hopefully that helped.

·
Registered
752 Posts
My imis have laid most of their clutches after lights out. And yeah they call all the time courting or not.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
+1 on the constant calling.

if your Imi's are anything like my Variabilis then you will get 5-6 days of no breeding then a clutch of 6-8 eggs then calling for another 5-6 day's and then a clutch.
Imitators aren't anything like your variabilis. They tend to lay 1-3 eggs per clutch until the female is tending to as many tadpoles as she can or all of the deposition sites are full. While imitator tads can be raised out of the tank, they seem do demonstrate behavior a little closer to obligates than most Ranitomeya (and IME the tads do better when raised in viv anyway).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts