Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a couple new orchids at an orchid show this week. I was told that they would remain small and do well in vivarium conditions. They are:

Neofenitia falcata
Dendrobium aphyllum

Anybody out there worked with either of those species? I won't be putting them in a viv for a while. Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
I keep my Neofenitias in the same manner as I do my catts. Which is on the dry side, with lots of light. So without some special steps taken in care, and the viv being set up rather particularly, I don't think it will do well for you

as for the Den, it appears to be deciduous, so am unsure about long term viability in the common viv

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang it. Well I guess I'll just keep them out of the viv and try to grow them around the house unless any one else out there has any positive experience with them in their vivs.

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
The Dendrobium is from cooler areas of Asia. It will grow best in intermediate conditions. It also will experience a dormancy period when it goes deciduous in the winter. During this time, the plant will want little to no water at all.

The Neofinetia is native to Japan. It will grow in warm temperatures but rather intermediate. They like to be in humid conditions, but I think the stagnant air of a viv would lead to rot issues. This one wouldn't mind a slight cooling in winter either. I've read these are hardy down into the 40's but I'm not sure I'd try it. Also, they will require a good bit of light to get them to bloom.

I wouldn't suggest either of these in a viv but if you want to make the Neofinetia into an interesting piece, look up videos of traditional Japanese potting styles. I think the moss mounds they pot them in are very interesting looking.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I won't be keeping them in my vivs but will still enjoy them anyways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.