Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I have killed my springtails and isopods by accident? I set up the substrate with leaf litter and sphagnum moss and put a whole box of dwarf Isos and two boxes of springtails in. They were doing fine. But the liner fleece looked ugly, so I removed the whole substrate and put it into a bucket while I trimmed the fleece. It was quite dry so I added water and mixed it about a bit, then tipped it all back in and spread it around. Then I added some coco sheets to the background with aquarium safe silicone, and built up the rest of the tank with cork bark, more substrate, plants etc. I haven't seen any springtails or isopods since ☹ I wonder whether I could have crushed them or stressed them to death moving them around so much and putting so much else on top, or maybe the silicone fumes could have killed them? Or are they probably just underground doing fine? Do you think I should add some more cultures?

·
Registered
‘santa isabel’ 0.0.3
23 Posts
It’s possible that the fumes could have killed them but they’re hardy little arthropods and I bet there are survivors. Personally, I’d add a new culture just to be sure (after all the fumes have dissipated, that is) but you can wait and see if they reestablish. I almost never see my springtails on top of the leaf litter so it’s likely that they’re just hunkered down under the soil.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I doubt that the fumes killed them. They are in the substrate. Maybe the dryness killed them. Maybe they are still there. You really don't see them often. Put something on the surface of the soil that would attract them, maybe some vegetable, check underneath it after a couple of days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts