Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a trip to Costa Rica. My family and I spent four days on the Osa Peninsula and then 3 days in the Arenal area. Osa was completely amazing and overwhelming. The rainforest there is so amazing and we saw so many interesting and beautiful plants, animals and insects. As far as poison frogs go, there were D. auratus everywhere. I didn't find any tads, but saw a lot of adults and a few juveniles. I only saw one vittatus, but you could hear them calling all day long. I looked for O. granulifera, but didn't have any luck. We were staying on a reserve and the naturalist that lives there said that they are only found in pockets on the Osa, and he has never seen them in the reserve we were on.

Arenal was fun, but pretty touristy. The hotel where we were staying had a "ranaria" that was full of Blue Jeans O. pumilio and a few auratus. On our last day we went to a small reserve near La Fortuna called Eco Centro Danaus. It is a 4 hectare area where the rainforest has been allowed to "regenerate." Really cool place with lots of cool stuff. There were pumilio everywhere there. I talked to the the guy there a little bit and he said that they had not introduced them, or any of the animals--they had just found there way there because it is kind of an oasis surrounded by a lot of agricultural areas. Anyway, it was a great trip and here are some pictures.

Enjoy,
Neal

P. vittatus
P. vittatus--Osa Peninsula

D. auratus
D. auratus--Osa Peninsula

O. pumilio
O. pumilio--Arenal

YouTube - O. pumilio calling--Danaus Eco Centro, La Fortuna, Costa Rica
O. pumilio calling at Danaus Eco Reserve, La Fortuna

YouTube - P. vittatus calling--Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
P. vittatus calling--Osa Peninsula

YouTube - D. auratus--Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
D. auratus--Osa Peninsula

·
Registered
995 Posts
:O :O :O

what's that Auratus morph called? is it in captivity? it's beautiful :eek:

great pics! i should be going down to a research base near Tortuguero in the next couple years...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess it would just be the Costa Rican morph. All of them had pretty much the same pattern--kind of a V on the nose and a bar across the middle of the back. They were all that really cool lime green, too.

·
Registered
527 Posts
anyone sell that morph of auratus? its color looked neon green/yellow. wish i could make a trip to costa rica.

·
Registered
527 Posts
if people learn anything from these photos, its one thing... LEAF LITTER. look at that carpet! what an awesome trip man. great photos and vids. thanks for this.

-brett

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The auratus there are definitely beautiful. They are not so much yellow, but a bright green. You're exactly right, Brett--leaf litter! The leaf litter is really deep and is teeming with life. It's interesting, too, that the leaves are really pretty dry. The humidity is very high, but there is very little standing water or other "wetness" around. I'm not sure how to recreate the dry ground/high humidity environment in our vivariums.

Neal

·
Registered
373 Posts
Very nice. I was in Costa Rica years ago and stayed at a reserve. I saw lots of cool things but no dart frogs. I would love to go back some time but I would do my homework before I go.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Now that's what I call leaf litter. Great pics!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts