Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a spring culture majorly infested with grindal worms. I put some enriched cornmeal on there and I didn't see any the next day. Could it be something in the cornmeal killed them? The springs are fine.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
People use cornmeal as a food to culture grindle worms... I suspect a lot of what people call grindle worms are misidentifications.

Ed

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well on the other hand, I don't understand why they would have died off and left the springtails there. Oh well, guess it'll remain a mystery.
I was using enriched cornmeal if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Why culture grindal worms? What eats them?

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Most commonly they are cultured to feed small fish and fish fry, however some people also use them to feed newts and I've spoken to a couple of people who tried them on tadpoles.

Ed

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Well on the other hand, I don't understand why they would have died off and left the springtails there. Oh well, guess it'll remain a mystery.
I was using enriched cornmeal if that makes a difference.
How about a change in CO2 levels or biofilm from the corn meal? They may actually still be in the culture but just down in the substrate.

Enriched typically means that it has had several B complex vitamins and iron added to it.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about a change in CO2 levels or biofilm from the corn meal? They may actually still be in the culture but just down in the substrate.

Enriched typically means that it has had several B complex vitamins and iron added to it.
Maybe a change in the biofilm--it can't have been the CO2 level b/c they're more resistant to low oxygen levels than the springtails---I've watched them revive in seconds while it takes the springtails over an hour.

There were hundreds and then the next day...none. Maybe they died and got eaten by the springs.
Or maybe I left the lid off too long and they burrowed into cracks in the charcoal.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Most commonly they are cultured to feed small fish and fish fry, however some people also use them to feed newts and I've spoken to a couple of people who tried them on tadpoles.

Ed
I use them as Ed stated, for fish food & sometimes for tads they are quite small so not to hard for tads to eat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts