Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I decided to cork mount some of my Bromeliads I have since I had extra cork that I will likely use in my next build.

Here is the result.
Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Green Terrestrial plant

When it comes time to build the vivarium will these bromeliads suffer from the silicone fumes if I decide to leave them on the cork throughout the whole process?

During my last build I left one plant and the bromeliads in the tank while the silicone cured, my other plants wilted bad and I had to pull them but the bromeliads seemed to be fine.

Ricky

·
Administrator
6,207 Posts
Could you build the viv except for those two pieces, then after the rest of it has cured mount those two pieces with only the silicone they need?

Or: silicone the rest of the build together in such a way that those two pieces can be mounted with some other fastener (zip ties, stainless screws, no fasteners/wedge in place/set on top)?

I have no idea about plants and acetic acid fumes, but these are just ideas to avoid the issue whether or not it is an issue.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could you build the viv except for those two pieces, then after the rest of it has cured mount those two pieces with only the silicone they need?

Or: silicone the rest of the build together in such a way that those two pieces can be mounted with some other fastener (zip ties, stainless screws, no fasteners/wedge in place/set on top)?

I have no idea about plants and acetic acid fumes, but these are just ideas to avoid the issue whether or not it is an issue.
That is a good solution, maybe as Chris mentioned I will just remove them temporarily and remount them.

I cannot seem to find any 24x18x24 Exo Terras online. Would that be a good size for a pair of Bastimentos? Or would a 18x18x36 be better?

Does anyone know the difference between the Oophaga Pumilio Bastimentos 'Cemetery' and the Oophaga Pumilio Bastimentos 'Red Frog Beach'? Just the location on the island they came from, or is there actually genetic differences?

Ricky

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not really related to the initial question, but is this bromeliad pup close to being large enough for me to remove from the mother plant?
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Wood Flowering plant

And does this look like a new pup coming out from my N. Chiquita Linda?
Flower Plant Green Terrestrial plant Organism

Ricky

·
Registered
15 Posts
Use gorilla glue, you wont be disappointed. Ive been making my last few tanks with gorilla glue instead of silicone and theres no nasty smell, as well as faster cure time.
Plant Wood Tints and shades Freezing Glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts