Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to start building my viv but still have a few questions.

I plan on using a bunch of cork bark in my background and was wondering if it is better to lay the foam down first then push the cork in to the foam or to just foam around the outside of the cork.?

Also some of the piece have some holes all the way through them which would allow water and other stuff to collect behind them. Should I seal up the holes with greatstuff behind them?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Neither. It is best to silicone your cork bark and wood work to the back wall of the viv for the firmest attachment. Then, after it has fully cured, apply your great stuff.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
A good idea that Pumilo gave me for rounded pieces of bark on the background is to seal the bottom, fill with dirt or charcoal, then seed it with springtails and occasionally through some food back there. That way they have a safe little "breeding area" in the tank.
Alternatively you could put some dirt and a plant in it. Just make sure you have a way for the water to drain out if you do that.

Reactions: Pumilo

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
A good idea that Pumilo gave me for rounded pieces of bark on the background is to seal the bottom, fill with dirt or charcoal, then seed it with springtails and occasionally through some food back there. That way they have a safe little "breeding area" in the tank.
That would be using it as a refugium.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts