Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So given the wonky layout of my house (my bathroom is over a hot water pipe AND has absolutely no air flow or circulation due to the floorplan) my house is alwasy 70F+++

normally this isn't an issue; at night its 68-70F and during the day its right around 72-75. The guys that need it a bit warmer have their respective lights to warm things up and everybody is happy.

However, this past week we have had a bit of a heat wave. Even with the AC on and the rest of the house (relatively) cooled down to around 78F, one of my frog tanks is still sitting at 87-89F during the day with a MINIMUM temperature of 82F at 3AM....it was around 82-84F all night.

I have been worried about my frogs so I went out and got some computer fans to vent it out....I have one fan blowing into the tank and one fan sucking air out. Simple 12V 80mm fans. My temps have not changed AT ALL but (as expected) my humidity has plummeted almost instantly to the 40-50% mark.....

how do you guys cool your tanks?

also, how do you setup IN-tank air circulation on smaller tanks? I can easily create a cross-breeze if I build a hood (which I think I will do soon) but for the many members who have racks and tons of 10-20gal tanks...do you not use fans? I actually have not had a need for them really, the heat issue just made me start thinking about them...

right now, I have my 29gal lit by 4x 2' 32Watt 6.5K lights. I'm guessing this is overkill and am probably going to cut 2 lights to save heat, but that won't cut down 8 degrees++

Open to suggestions...I've tried putting a fan in the room to move some air, it helped like 2 degrees but not much....my AC in my house has been on mostly all day but that is obviously not a practical solution...my electric bill is going to kill me...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@julio: my tank has a full screen top at the moment!

what I'm getting at is that it is simply not feasible for me to leave my house AC on 24/7....I'm trying to find a more "localized" way to cool the tank :\

·
Registered
259 Posts
You could get one of those portable air conditioners or if you have a window in the room you can get a window AC. That way you don't have to cool down the entire house only that one room.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have actually heard of people that will get a cooler of ice, and place it close to the tanks, and then put a fan that is blowing the air on top of the ice over to the tanks. While this would be a hassle to do every single day, it is something that can work to cool things down a bit during the very very hot days. It is worth a try.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have you ever measured the humidity in the tanks?
Yes. And..?

@julio & bshmerlie: unfortunately I do not have a window near that location....I have setup a normal fan to get some air moving and that has helped, but I was hoping for some more specific "tank-specific" or even "in-tank" solution :p thanks tho!

@dartboard: that is not a bad idea....I was actually doing something very similar by putting a few ice cubes into the pond every hour :p

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have actually heard of people that will get a cooler of ice, and place it close to the tanks, and then put a fan that is blowing the air on top of the ice over to the tanks. While this would be a hassle to do every single day, it is something that can work to cool things down a bit during the very very hot days. It is worth a try.
I like the idea. I'm going to keep it in mind, I'm in Texas and we are consistently over 100 degrees right now. With out refrigerated air I probably couldn't keep darts :)

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
This is probably one of the more complex ways of building a swamp cooler but if you Google "Homemade Swamp Cooler" you will get many variations. As a homebrewer for several years, we would use this to keep fermentation temperatures in check. Because it works on evaporation to cool the air, the drier the climate the better. So somewhere in TX or AZ would be ideal. It never really worked well in FL where evaporation basically doesn't exist. :(

In extreme cases, what about keeping a frozen case of sealed 12oz water bottles in the freezer and laying one or two on top of each cage a few times a day? Just rotate out the frozen bottles. The cold air would sink to the ground. I may actually experiment with this in a cage with no animals right now. Living in FL and being in the midst of hurricane season, it is really something we SHOULD all be thinking about. Even just one day of no power would result in some heavy temperature spikes here.

HOMEMADE SWAMP COOLER

·
Registered
802 Posts
Living in FL and being in the midst of hurricane season, it is really something we SHOULD all be thinking about. Even just one day of no power would result in some heavy temperature spikes here.
Very true. If you're without power for a day you'll need to be sure to have enough frozen waterbottles in the fridge to keep the tanks cool though. Since temps will be spiking, the frozen waterbottles will heat up faster which would require more waterbottles than under "normal" conditions. I'm not sure how feasible this would be (depending on how many vivs you have to keep cool) in practice during a power outage/heat spike.

Not trying to be a downer, but I wanted to throw that out there in case you hadn't considered that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I use little six-pack coolers, upside down, with two Coleman ice packs. Basically, the only "exposed" part of the ice pack is facing downward towards the screen. They are the perfect size. If you have a lot of water in the bottom of the tank, it's going to take some extra work to cool the water first, and then the temps are more stable, and cooler, after that.

Replace ice packs every 12 hours, as needed.

I maintain ~5-6 degrees cooler than the room the viv is in. It works great.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So somewhere in TX or AZ would be ideal. It never really worked well in FL where evaporation basically doesn't exist. :(
Ha. I'm sure that SOMEWHERE in Texas, that could be true. El Paso, maybe. But most of Texas is really humid. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Another way to cool the water (just an idea...I've never tried it.....) but you could freeze some purified or spring water into cubes and drop one or two of those in there every now and then.....but I guess that could make it too cold? I dunno.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts