Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am planning ahead and this will be my first summer with frogs. The room the frogs are in gets pretty hot in the summer so I want to buy an AC to keep temps at a good level. The only question is...do you recommend having the AC in the actual room vs. in the room next to it. I guess I am just worried about cold drafts from the AC having a negative effect on the frogs.

I was thinking about something like this....
Amazon.com: 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner - EdgeStar: Kitchen & Dining

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
The A/C units have a temp setting that prevents overcooling; however, if you turn it to the maximum setting it can freeze and stop working until it thaws out (esp. if the intake is inside the room). Also, some units have a backup where it will work in case your power goes out and it has to restart when it comes back on---might want to check into one that does that or have ice packs on hand in case of emergency failure.

Keep the tank well out of the main direction of the draft and you should be OK.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Susan! I will look for one with those emergency features ;-)

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I like to aim a fan directly at the AC air output which diffuses and spreads the flow of cold air.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I was thinking about this exact thing. We've got window units, but none with special features on them. Now that I've gone from the one viv I had last summer, to a total of 5- I'm more nervous.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i just came home from the thrift store with 2 brand new 5k btu window units for 40$ each.

ive been looking into a portable generator.

i figure i can run the window units or space heaters in the winter if needed. with a genny.

we went 11 days without power when Isabel hit a few yrs ago, luckily i didnt have frogs then.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I second the EdgeStar - I use a combined heater/AC unit to keep my 10x10 outdoor frog room above 68 F at night and below 80 F during the day.
Ruprecht

EdgeStar Extreme Cool 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner & Heater

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.