Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy hung around for about a week. Cap was over an inch. My big female alanis, could not resist it and every time she was near this mushroom, she had to jump onto the cap with her fat ass. Very strange. Maybe she considered it as an intruder or something.

Also, I noticed a bunch of springtails feeding under the cap, especially when the mushroom was getting older. Makes me belive that they were feeding on the falling spores or something. Has anyone tried feeding their springtails with regular white mushrooms or with portabellos?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
They were feeding on the mycellium, after all mushrooms are just the fruiting body of mycellium. I am currently working on a springtail food utilizing the mycellium of portabello mushrooms and a few other varieties. I am growing it in a water corn syrup mixture at 85 degrees. So far it is working good, and the springtails gather on areas I drip it on.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Marty said:
Has anyone tried feeding their springtails with regular white mushrooms or with portabellos?

No, but I have fed them the tough ends of shitake mushrooms...they ate it, but nothing special happened.

G

·
0 Posts
mushrooms

ive done this. i have also fed them pure mycelium grown on agar. they ate it but as was already mentioned nothing really different happened except if you forget to cut the gills of the mushroom you will get spores all over your springtail tub which allows them to climb up the sides. it is the fleshy center of the mushroom cap that they like most.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts