Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to dart frogs. kept tropical fish for 40 years, mixed reef tank for 3 years, Im converting my tropical jewel trigon 350, my question is regarding the lid and ventilation. the lid is in 4 separate pieces, can anyone advise the best way to convert this lid to provide adequate ventilation? I will be keeping bumble bee darts, many thanks.

· Super Moderator
1,457 Posts
Something to keep in mind is that aquariums can have issues with ventilation and air stagnating. The best option is to drill holes low on the sides of the tank and cover them with mesh, which will allow a current of air to flow diagonally through the tank as the lights heat air up, air rises through the top vents, and fresh air is pulled in through the lower holes. Some people like their top ventilation in the back, to encourage that diagonal air current; some like ventilation in front, to help keep the glass clear of condensation; I think a little of both is ideal.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Something to keep in mind is that aquariums can have issues with ventilation and air stagnating. The best option is to drill holes low on the sides of the tank and cover them with mesh, which will allow a current of air to flow diagonally through the whole tank as the lights heat air up, air rises through the top vents, and fresh air is pulled in through the lower holes. Some people like their top ventilation in the back, to encourage that diagonal air current; some like ventilation in front, to help keep the glass clear of condensation; I think a little of both is ideal.
makes sense but the thought of drilling this tank fills me with dread :oops:

· Registered
32 Posts
I use a glass aquarium it’s a 90cm x 55cm x 53cm (55 gal in the US I think?)

I run two PC fans from the lid one draws fresh air into the tank and the other draws it out. They’re both around 4cm in size and cut into the lid for aesthetics.

this works well enough to ensure all glass panels are completely clear and moisture level inside starts to dry out after several hours.

· Registered
61 Posts
makes sense but the thought of drilling this tank fills me with dread :oops:
It really isn't difficult. Tons of demos on YT. If you have a battery run drill and a glass drill bit, all you need is a steady hand, patience snd water to lube the grind. Keep in mind, you are not drilling the glass at all - you are grinding it with diamond chips. Once you do a few, you can get cocky and pull off stunts like this...
Textile Art Font Tints and shades Pattern

1 - 11 of 11 Posts