Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have two 20 gal. tall aquariums with two round holes near the bottom of the back (it was a freebie from a pet store that went out of business and the holes had been for plumbing when it held fish). i'm already planning to make one a vertical conversion for a gargoyle gecko and i did a practice 10 gal. vertical with a screen top that i'm using to grow some vivarium plants.

my idea is to turn the other one on its front so the holes are on the top and put a door on the front (previously the top) to make it easier to access. the dimensions would then be 24" wide, 12" tall, 16" deep with two ventilation holes near the back about 1 3/4" in diameter covered with screen/weed barrier.

with a GS/cork background and substrate/LECA base layer sloping uphill from front to back would it be tall enough for a pair of azureus? would the two ventilation holes be sufficient to allow me to take the front door all the way to the top so the front height would be about a 9"/3" door/substrate barrier split?

i can make a crappy diagram in paint if my explanation isn't good enough.

also while i'm asking questions, what plants would stay small/horizontal enough for a tank like that? and can i keep fruitfly cultures inside a cabinet where they don't get light? i assume isopods and springtails would be fine in the dark, but i haven't seen anything regarding a dark/light cycle for cultures.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wouldn't it be a lot more convenient to make sliding doors. Instead of a hinged door that exposes the whole front while open..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
probably. there are a number of door possibilities, but i'm more worried about getting an answer specifically regarding whether the dimensions of that plan (height in particular) are suitable/feasible for a planted dart frog viv before i move on to concerning myself with the actual construction details of the door.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think it would work well either way, vertical for leucs, or on it's side like you orginally sugested, for azureas. I also think making it vertical would be the safe thing to do as it is usally much easier and you can find many tutorials on how to do it. It may also be easier to plant if it is vertical and you'd have more options plant-wise with broms and such, that would never fit into your original design. It's all up to you.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I've had this idea knocking around inside of my head too. If you place the 20 on it's side, it increases the floor space...the only thing holding me back is the height. Although you hear a lot that tincs don't climb, mine frequently climb up in the leaves of the plants (mostly for sleeping, but sometimes through the day). If you take away the height, they really don't have much climbing room. Also, you're not left with much room for plants once you include a false bottom and substrate. It will be much tougher to be able to find plants that will fit nicely.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think it would work well either way, vertical for leucs, or on it's side like you orginally sugested, for azureas. I also think making it vertical would be the safe thing to do as it is usally much easier and you can find many tutorials on how to do it. It may also be easier to plant if it is vertical and you'd have more options plant-wise with broms and such, that would never fit into your original design. It's all up to you.
I've had this idea knocking around inside of my head too. If you place the 20 on it's side, it increases the floor space...the only thing holding me back is the height. Although you hear a lot that tincs don't climb, mine frequently climb up in the leaves of the plants (mostly for sleeping, but sometimes through the day). If you take away the height, they really don't have much climbing room. Also, you're not left with much room for plants once you include a false bottom and substrate. It will be much tougher to be able to find plants that will fit nicely.
thanks for the input. the limitations on plants was one of the big things i was worried about (besides the height itself being sufficient for the frogs' needs). i think i'm just going to do both of the 20 gal. tanks i have as vertical conversions at one time and use both for geckos since that's where i have more experience anyway.

then i can take my time and keep my eyes peeled for a good deal/freebie on either a bigger aquarium to make into a horizontal conversion (probably a 30 breeder or 40 breeder) or a good-sized exo-terra/zoo-med terrarium (i have a 12x12 zoo-med, but i think it's too small for me to be comfortable using it for much of anything other than a grow-out or hatchling/froglet tank) to use for dart frogs. i'll have to post another freecycle want ad and/or get back in touch with the lady i got the 20 gal. tanks from and see if she has any larger tanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, i found someone with a cheap 40 gal. breeder tank.

should i bother trying to do the front-opening horizontal conversion, make it a vertical tank or just leave it the way it is?

also, any suggestions for how to use the 12" zoo-med cube?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts