Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got into this hobby recently through a strange set of circumstances. I have a neighbor that gave me an enclosure that he temporarily was holding a snake in. It was already a decored viv with a few live plants already. I had been thinking of getting into the dart frog hobby for a while(I have kept fish and plants for a long time) A few days before he was to give me the viv, his daughter noticed 3 small frogs in it with the snake! He asked me if I still wanted it with the frogs in it and I said sure not seeing what they were. When I got it to my house, about a day or two later, two little Mantella Pulchra started coming out and exploring. (I believe one was eaten sadly) So I got a misting system to take care of the misting and have been feeding ff and crickets and aphids. Their weight is back up and everything seems ok. I'm just wondering about getting it closer to a habitat. Is there any harm in adding leaves and springtail seedings after the fact? How do many of you clean mineral deposits off the glass with the frogs still in the enclosure(if it were fish, I would use diluted vinegar, is that safe?) I have been awash with researching to make sure I'm doing right by these guys. I would also love to get more as it's a 18x18x24 zoo med but this sp seems to be kinda rare now. Been trolling the classifieds here, but if anyone has any leads that would be great too.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I'm not sure about vinegar, it might be safe but I wouldn't use it as it smell pretty strong. Lemon juice and a razor blade has always worked for me.

Just curious, you neighbor had three mantellas he didn't know about?:p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not thick enough to need a razor blade just yet. Thanks for the lemon juice idea, I forgot about that.

Haha yeah he bought a snake and ordered a custom enclosure from the same store. So that he could take the snake home the same day they gave him the Viv that was just sitting around. And I guess that someone didn't check or didn't know that they were in there. When my neighbor discovered them, he went out and got pinhead crickets for them but who knows how long they went without food.....

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You can and should ad new, clean leaf litter periodically. What kind of snake is it?

I'd be careful about using even lemon juice on a tank with inhabitants. If you put them in a new tank and tear down the old that is the best time to attack the stains. Use soft water to prevent more mineral buildup and to keep your mist valves from clogging.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was one of the emerald tree boas. As of yet I have no intentions of tearing this enclosure down as it is. Mainly because I am not at a place where I feel confident catching the little guys safely. Lol.

The water stains are from the previous own spraying the tank with tap water for the snake. I am using distilled water in the mister and spring water in the water bowl. I guess I can leave it alone, I'm just used to clearer enclosures .......

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts