Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have finished building a new big livingroom viv and would like to share some construction pictures here.

the dimensions of the viv are
211cm wide, 95 cm high, 72 cm deep. ( I don't understand anything about the imperial system :confused: so I let you guys do the conversion ;) )

the viv was constructed out of concrete form plywood. I have used this material before and liked it very much. Glass was not an option because of the size of the viv and me living on the 3th floor.

first a schematic of the inside of the viv:

the raised part on the left is for a technical compartment that houses the misting installation and all the timers etc.
it is accessible from the side

the smaler compartment on the front (whole length of the tank) is to create air circulation

the tank can hold a fairly large amount of water. most will be hidden beneath a false bottom with two compartments. one of the compartments will house the pump for the waterfall

so this was the general plan:

and this was the first step to realizing it:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the plywood planks were glued together with polyurethane glue. Some screws were also put in for strength and to pull the planks together while the glue dried.

afterwards everything got several coats of epoxy to make sure everything was waterproof.

over the plywood skeleton a mdf "casing" was placed because the plywood is difficult to paint.

some pieces of wood were placed in the tank and 2-component pu-foam applied to keep everything in place and to get rid of all the straight edges

the waterfall was constructed out of pvc-pipes, coverd and filled with the pu-foam

a pane of glass was glued in the side, a stainless steel mesh glued in place between the ventilation compartment and the tank, and some pvc E-profiles placed for the 2 sliding windows

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
finally the panes of glass and stainless steel ventilation mesh were installed in the hood.
the misting system (14 nozzles) was installed
lights were installed (2 80Watt t5's + 3 36w PL's for the day, some led-lightning for dusk & dawn)
a lot of fans were installed
- 5 fans blowing air from the bottom into the tank
- 1 fan blowing warm air on to the side-window
- 3 fans blowing hot air out of the light hood. partly into the living room, partly into the bottom compartment to be recycled into the viv

on top of the eggcrate I put a fine plastic mesh. on top of that some treefern pannels so that water can run through to the false bottom.
on top of the treefern pannels I put a mix of peat, treefern fiber, spaghnum, charcoal, leaflitter, orchid bark and clay

planted it and voila:

I love bromeliads so I put a lot of them in there. There are also a lot of little ferns and orchids.
The plants are already growing nicely.
I think I might have to add more lights but I haven't had time to measure the actual light-levels yet.

I will post some detailed pictures of the plants soon

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Wow, very awesome! Nice job, but why did you put egg crate over the lights? That'll cut down a lot on how much light is getting into the tank.

·
Registered
701 Posts
By the way this tank is 396.9 gallons, HUGE!

·
Registered
599 Posts
super cool! love it. you should definitely put a group of Ameerega Bassleri 'Chrome blue' in there!

·
Registered
858 Posts
What a waste of Space...... :)
Imagine how many smaller Tanks you could have instead :)

Displays like this on this side of the pond are limited to places like Zoos.

Fantastic Job

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What a waste of Space...... :)
Imagine how many smaller Tanks you could have instead :)
I don't have to imagine ;) there used to be 3 tanks where this tank is now.

I am planning to replace all my small tanks by big ones (but this will still be the biggest)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, very awesome! Nice job, but why did you put egg crate over the lights? That'll cut down a lot on how much light is getting into the tank.
the egg-crate is there to hide the lamps because they are fugly and you look straight into them from the couch.
It is done quite often over here. I have once seen a comparison of light levels with and without the egg-crate and the difference really wasn't that big.
the difference between lamps + reflectors and lamps without reflectors was much bigger. I will try to find the numbers

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
This thing is a beast. Man, Id love to build something on this scale for a zoo or somebody with a large home. Great clean work and design!

·
Registered
841 Posts
thanks for the tip on the eggcrate. ive been worrying about the light spill into my room from my new tank. finish carpentry is set for this week so i need to set the top of glass level and the eggcrate could help with that. just for kicks i will measure with and without it with my par meter. almost forgot, the tank looks great keep up with growth shots on it please.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts