Dendroboard banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Expensive hobby? You've never kept a reef tank! Froggers don't need 8 or 10 different test kits (the more accurate the more $), monthly salt water changes, very high output lighting, protein skimmers, assorted reactors, high volume water pumps, unregulated vendor claims, etc. I'm still a reefer too, but I really love the cost of the frogger hobby...
Agreed 100%. I too am still in the salt water hobby and have dished out hundereds for an eye of a chalice that was the size of a pencil eraser..

You are usally into it an easy couple thousand for a decent sized setup, nice equipment, sand, and rock. Fish and coral not included. LOL So when I see a frog that is only 70-80 and most plants I have seen being no more then 20-30, is a bargin!

·
Registered
36 Posts

300.00+ without the chance of them actually breeding and making some sort of return on them... Then had them vanish about a week or so later.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My hobby rule of thumb has always been that if you're still willing to add up the numbers and look at the total while sober, you're probably still okay... :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
300.00+ without the chance of them actually breeding and making some sort of return on them... Then had them vanish about a week or so later.
For me, the worst ones always stuck around -- usually expensive angels who'd slowly starve while I went to ever more crazy and expensive extremes to try to get them to eat in captivity...

·
Registered
523 Posts
With a tank stocked with the likes of a clown tang, chevron tang, purple tang, blotched anthias, majestic angelfish, mystery wrasse and more...Im very used to spending money on my reef.

However...think of it this way.

I also ran a 75g reef. I got all the rock and sand (plus a bunch of other stuff I later replaced for $150) at a garage sale...you can get dry rock and sand (the best stuff IMO) really cheap these days.

All I needed then was lights (having a hard time selling a complete sunlight supply 2x 250W MH system right now...for $75), a tank, heater, skimmer (AquaC Remora worked for a 75g - $170) and 4x Koralia 4's.

All told, if I did stuff the right way on that tank...bought my lights used...the total cost would be less than what I just spent on this viv Im building now.

It all just depends what you are going for. The little things have added up on thsi viv...a little of this material, a little of that materia.

When I start putting it together I know that Im not going to be able to use it all, but through various builds on aquaria you learn that its better to have too much than to say...well I really need/want this...and have to go back later and try to add it.

Stockpile stuff and do it right IMO.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
OK, my 2 cents!

75 Gallon (approximate) Exo Terra Viv.

Exo Terra, 24" wide, 18" deep, 36" tall. 300.00
Glass top, drilled for mister bulkheads 30.00
1 quad mistking, 2 doubles. 100.00
1 pro-products, Pro mist PM 70 setup, 239.99
Enough Tree fern panels for 3 walls 100
Various large and small broms 75.00
various other plants, climers, shinglers, orchids 40.00
magnolia and live oak leaves 24.00
ABG mix, 20.00 approxiamte
hydroton 5.00
Glass panes for Euro false bottom 40.00
36" piece of Malaysian drift wood 95.00
5 tubes of Silicone I 25.00
T-5 lights, 2 strips, 70.00
Power compact 75.00

Total $1168.00

And thats not including all kinds of various small miscelleneous fastners, and stuff. Then, add the 6 Ranitomeya Vanzolinii and bam, its near $2000.00

Given, the misting system now runs several tanks, leftover plants, etc for more builds. But half my lighting that I did not include in the prices are leftoevers from years ago. Many plant cuttings not included were from trades, or local friends. So...yeah. I coulda bought a cheap car instead. Would I? No, I love that viv. Its my stress reliever.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
my bare-bones 20 long

20g long-free

Glass lid-$7.50

Light-free

Hydroton-$10

Screen liner- $1.99

ABG-$19

Leaf litter-free

Microfauna-$8

Wood/decor-free

Plants-$17

Two dendrobates tinctorius azureus froglets: $60

Total:$126.98.
Remember, this is a bare-bones viv with no background and hand misting. It wasn't expensive at all, and this is more-or-less temporary. I plan on building another vivarium for them soon.

·
Banned
213 Posts
ok my turn.

started just building a terrarium and it got out of control, keep in mind this is my first step into this.

150 gallon tank $300
built into wall, installed header, etc $2,500
fluval filter $130
mister $150
fogger $35
Humidity/temp thermostat and control $65
co2 set up $150
fans $25
water test set $60
cork, tree fern, substrate, plants $300
building supplies $300

then decided i needed frogs