Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone :) I am considering getting into pdf's :) Have a few questions though, before I even decide yes or no.

I really like the blue ones. The azureus, powderblue tincs, suriname cobalts, auratas...you get the idea :) Pretty much, if it has blue on it I like it hehe

Wanting to know if any of those do well in groups? While I understand that sometimes its best to only have pairs, I would like a bigger tank, and more than 2 frogs in it. If I cant have that, thats fine. I can always settle for a 20 gal or something. And, if pairs in a group arent a good idea, what about same sex groups? I dont really care for the breeding aspect. I mean, what would I do with all those babies? I suppose I could always just remove the eggs right?

And, are there any types of pdf's that can be mixed? Again, if not, its perfectly fine with me. I just think it would be neat to see diff. colors in one big tank.

I only have one tank question, and that is waterfalls. Do any of you use the waterfalls that you can buy? Like the Exo Terra ones? Instead of creating your own? I think those are all self contained. I was actually considering getting one for my boa, just havent done it yet lol

Thanks all :) Look forward to learning about pdf's!

Virginia

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi everything you have listed does well in groups but in a large terrarium. However they also do very well as pairs. When you do have them in groups and they get to a breeding age you might have watch for fighting males and females. The females will try to drown eachother in water. If that happens just seperate them. all the frogs you have listed could also be mixed together with no problem. :D if you have anyother quetions plaese pm me. I hope you get some frogs and join the rest of us.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks :) I would get like a 75 or 100 gal tank. Hubby keeps telling me I dont NEED frogs, but then again, he said I didnt NEED another boa, or NEED the leo gecko that I have hehe Its going to take some time for me to save up the money to buy all these frogs I want anyways and the stuff. So for now, I will keep reading and ask any questions I have.

I was actually just thinking that I would probably need to add some rocks to one of the pre made waterfalls :) Not a prob there :) I really like how they look.

Again, thanks!

Virginia

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have one of those pre-made waterfalls and its nice that its self-contained but there reallly hard to clean with all the nooks and crannys. And it gets slimy fast and its just a pain. And they are really expensive for what they are i regret buying mine.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You will have a hard time keeping the water in the self contained area. The high humidity of the tank will evaporate the little amount of water in the waterfall and bust the pump.

Try making your own. They look much better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone.

I would only get that big of a tank, if I was going to get more than one type of frog, and put them in one tank. As I said before, if its not a good idea, that is fine, I will not do it :) I can always just pick the one I like the best and go from there :)

Virginia

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
In a large tank like that, it would be OK to mix species that are OK in groups and can't interbreed. If you don't plan on breeding, you can mix species that can interbreed.

Unfortunately, except for blue auratus, all of the blue frogs that are readily available are best in pairs due to the fighting issue. But you could have blue auratus and leucs, for instance.

Mixing is requires a lot of space and careful thought, but it's not impossible.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do not plan on breeding. At least not at this time ;) But if I did, I would have different tanks for that.

I have read that females will fight more than males, but that sometimes they dont, if raised from babies together. Do males fight if there are no females? What about having all one sex? Would that be possible?

Virginia

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Virginia,

Blue auratus are very shy. I don't think you would be happy with them. Don't get me wrong we have some, but they are not out much. If you like blue frogs then it is very hard to beat an Azureus. You can keep them in groups, but have to watch the fighting. I wouldn't put more than 4 in a 29 gallon. We have kept 6 in a 29 gallon, but that was for only about 6 months. Way to much fighting.
Dartfrogs are all most impossible to sex as froglets, and females seem to be more common with Azureus. Don't be to scared of a big tank. My first tank was a 75 gallon. You will just have to feed a lot of flies, and I would seed the tank with springtails before hand. I would also stay away from the premade water fall, you will never be happy with it.

This is a great hobby, but beware....
it is very addictive too,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, what are springtails? hehe

The azureus *sp* are actually my favorite of the blue ones. But I listed all the blue ones I liked, so you guys could recommend what would be best :) Any others beside blue one that do well in groups? Hubby really likes red ones lol

I am going to really start researching more now. If I do decide to get some, it will be around spring time. That way I can save up money and have a proper setup and have learned lots :)

Virginia

Hubby should of known this was gonna happen. I let frogs from outside live in my houseplants LOL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya are there any red dart frogs, beside like pumilo? Whenever u see a book on dart frogs they always have that red and black one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Red darts...

Retics

Red Glacts:

Tricolor:

M.steyermarki (VERY hard to find, if any are in the US)

I would go with the D. galactonotus or Tricolor as a newer keeper. Retics are nics but very small and about $150. Then there are the Pumilio group, but hard to come by... Bri Bri would be your best bet, but they are more rust colored..

I know there are a few more but no need to list hard to find...

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
If you want red, I concur that galacts are the best bet for a beginner. They are also a lot cheaper than the other choices, if cost is a factor.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts