Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so a week or so ago I found this wooden cabinet with glass doors that is the perfect size to fit 4 10 gallon tanks, two on top and two on bottom. they sit in the viewing portion of the window, and look like they were made for it. So I am in the process of converting the thing into a rack-type setup. I am drilling holes for my plumbing, hooking up 13 watt power compacts from AH, and making room for my misting nozzles. but I have come across two problems and I wanted to see what you guys think;

1. After yesterday's heat wave, which will continue today, I have realized that the apartment I have moved into, which is on the third floor, is going to get way to hot. all the heat rises from the floors below, and the apartment itself has a hard time expelling heat (through windows.) so I know that when i put the tanks (which will have imitators, fantasticus, and amozonicus in them) into the cabinet, heat will be even more of a problem. My girlfriend is totally against leaving an air conditioner on all day in there. so what to do? is there any thermostats that are made for small rooms that I can hook up to a small AC unit? I have thought about maybe hooking a humidifier up to some plumbing and then running that into the cabinet, and on the hottest days, putting ice into the water to cool the whole thing down. but wont that fog up the outside of the tanks? and the inside of the glass doors? (granted, I can open the doors when its super hot, but keeping them closed would be ideal.)

2. The thumbs that I am getting would obviously do better in a tank larger than 10 gallons. However, this cabinet is just too perfect to not use in this fashion, and the space it saves combined with the aesthetic qualities of it means my girlfriend will allow me to leave it in the living room, where i can watch the frogs to my hearts content. so I'm thinking, if I drill matching holes in adjacent ten gallon tanks, then connect those hole will some pvc piping, effectively turning a ten into a twenty gallon tank, would the frogs use the "tunnel" and freely pass between tanks? will the calls of males in one tank convince the females (that may or may not be in the adjacent tank) to cross over? i have thought about the possible problem of them laying eggs in the tunnel where they are unable to be gathered, but i thought using clear pipes may make that a non-issue. has anyone ever tried this? if so, what was your experience? can anyone think of any reasons why this wouldn't be a good idea?

3. I drilled my holes for plumbing before i looked into bulkheads. I now have a half inch hole, which of course will not fit any bulkhead. if i just pick pvc pieces that look like they would work, then run the pipes out of the back of the tank and down the back of the cabinet, will this be highly succeptable to leakage? would i be better off trying to drill a larger hole on top of the hole that is already there? or will let easily crack? i have had great success drilling glass, to the point that i havent had one crack, but now I dont know what is more likely to crack:)

4. finally, an easy question. i have to seal the wood on the inside of the cabinet to protect it from moisture. what do you guys use? the frogs will never (intentionally) come in contact with this surface.

OK, many thanks guys, i know this is a lot, I just want to make sure these little guys survive and remain happy.

Ethan

·
Registered
665 Posts
In my apartment in the summers I have the same heat problems, even as tonight is supposed to reach the 80's in NYC. When it gets that hot I have a small window ac set on 75 degrees and that will keep the entire frog room cool. Newer units should have some sort of control to maintain the temps.

I dont think you should have any problems drilling out a larger hole in the glass, I would take it really slow and back the glass with a piece of wood or some other material so that when it goes to break through it wont shatter, plus use plenty of water.

When I completed my wooden rack I sealed the whole thing with a semigloss water based finish by Minwax, its called Polycrylic. A couple coats and it looks great. Since it was water based I didnt get further brain damage from the fumes :shock: .

rob

G

·
Habistat do a Thermostat thats on a reverse switch, id just wire it up to a big ass fan behind the cabinet, just to circulate the air out of the cabinet.

You could also go one further, fit the same thermostat to the lights so that if it gets WAY too hot not only does the fan come on but the lights turn off too.

Also increasing the mistings might help, id imagine with all that extra air circulation you might get dried out quickly

·
Registered
126 Posts
Reverse light cycle?

I've been worried about heat problems as I keep my frogs in an upstairs room. Since I've gone to a reverse light cycle I've had no problems, and my daytime (frog nighttime) temps keep the temperature very steady for my collection.

A lot of successful breeders in my area, Jon Werner, Phil Tan, etc, use a reverse light cycle.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Re: Reverse light cycle?

I have never really thought of doing that, but it makes great sense.

Joe Baginski said:
I've been worried about heat problems as I keep my frogs in an upstairs room. Since I've gone to a reverse light cycle I've had no problems, and my daytime (frog nighttime) temps keep the temperature very steady for my collection.

A lot of successful breeders in my area, Jon Werner, Phil Tan, etc, use a reverse light cycle.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
unfortunately, i am not an electrician whatsoever. so re-wiring stuff may be tough. but I appreciate the input, and I will have to check it out to see how hard it is. Mouse, if at some point i need to ask you an electrical question, i may PM you. i like the idea of the reverse switch thermostat that operates both fan and lights. if i only knew what i was doing:)

i think the hardest thing about reverse light cycles is the fact that the frogs will be un-observable. i love to watch my frogs, and i want to find a way that I can accomplish lower temps without having to sleep through their activity periods. but once again, thanks for the input. i gues at some point, you can have too many frogs to observe them all anyway, and having them active at night in order to induce reproduction is sensible and productive enough to be warranted.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so what about the pvc connecting the sets of tanks? anyone think this is a good/bad idea?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:).....

I think i'll just pay for the electric, but thanks for the suggestion

G

·
i've never tried the pvc connecting thing but i remember reading about it. I think it might of been in Walls's Poison Dart Frogs but not sure. Anyway he had a large tank, 50 or 60g but seperated it into 3 compartments using 2 styrofoam sheets or something, with a hole near the bottom. I think the purpose was primarily to establish pairs from a larger group, where the males would stake out their territory, and then the females would pair off with the males.

but im not sure how this would work as a permanent set-up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
habitrails were the sh_t. but for this, i was thinking one striaght, short tube connecting the two tanks (which will only be sitting a couple inches apart from each other. they will hopefully slide into rubber gaskets fitted to the holes in the glass, making it removable/cleanable/egg-harvestable:). i am gonna try it. i'll let you guys know if anything interesting comes out it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
have you ever thought of taking out the glass in the middle between both tanks and siliconing it back together so you have one tank... thought that might give you an idea.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
have you ever thought of taking out the glass in the middle between both tanks and siliconing it back together so you have one tank... thought that might give you an idea.
well, that wouldn't really work for the cabinet I am putting the tank in, which is the reason I need to use ten gallon tanks in the first place (cause they fit so snugly.) plus, i would just buy a larger tank if i was going to do that. the reason i think the conecting tubes could be interesting is because it will give the males a chance to establish a territory that is seperated from the the other males in the enclosure, and it will give them the oppertunity to call and operate without being in view of the other males, while allowing females to chose which male they will visit. plus, with foam and coco fiber you can hide almost anything and make it look almost natural, so why not give it a try. if i need to, I can always remove the tube and cork the hole... ( the hole in the glass:).

·
Registered
210 Posts
that sounds like an awesome idea... if you give it a try i would like to hear the out come of it, pictures included.. thanks, good luck...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the positive feedback, i was starting to think i was the only one that thought it may be cool:). i will definitely let you know how it goes. there will be fant's and ami's and possibly imitators going into the set-ups. i'll try to take pictures as i do it, though i usually forget to do that..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts