Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:roll: OK I may just not be quick on the uptake but what is the deal with cfb's? I heard you are suppose to feed the larvae, but how the heck do you find 'em? Now I just may not have any larvae in there, but I've had the set-up for a few months. Am I missing something? Because having a few beetles in a cup of flour isn't too exciting. hmmmmmm :roll:

Mike

·
Registered
850 Posts
Get a fine strainer (we use splatter covers for cooking pans, you can find them at any grocery store for $1. We then cut out the bottom of a fruitfly cup and glue on the wire mesh from the splatter cover). It has to be able to let the flour drain through it, but hold back the larvae and beetles. Once all the flour has drained, set the stainer/cup of bettles/larvae and let it sit for an hour of so. Once you come back most of the larve will have squirmed through the mesh into the cup below. Feed from the cup below and dump everything in the stariner back into the culture. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Even easier:

When you have a flourishing "mother" culture, use a fine-mesh sieve to sift out a portion of the medium, removing all the beetles and larvae. Replace the medium you have taken from the mother culture with fresh medium. Incubate the sifted medium in a warmish place and in two to three weeks you can sift this again and obtain only larvae with no beetles present. You can then continue to harvest these subcultures once or twice a week for a month or more, until either the supply of larvae diminishes or adult beetles appear. For a continuous supply, start as many new sifted subcultures as you need each week. Simple, and surprisingly productive.

The larvae are not highly active, so it can take some time for amphibians to recognize them as food. I offer the larvae in a shallow plastic cap such as a milk jug top. Frogs soon learn to recognize this food supply and queue up to get their share.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot. I guess I just didn't know how small the larvae were since I haven't seen any.
Mike

·
Registered
230 Posts
I do something similar to what AJ does. It is so simple and easy. It's easier than fruit flies. Just not the same production. Not to mention a very fatty food that should be used as a supplement and not a staple. Doyles Dart Den has a fantastic How-to on these guys.

-Ben

1 - 5 of 5 Posts