Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find a definite answer. I have quickcrete and am wondering what I do between layers. Do I let the cement dry before the next layer? do I keep it wet to keep it curing? and how long before I can apply the next layer?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Im not really sure what you mean by layers, but if your thinking its like paint and your going to do multiple layers I would not do that. I worked with concrete for 5 years or so and know a lot about it and unless its hydraulic cement you dont want to do layers it will not bond to eachother and will eventually flake and chip and fall apart. You need to find a happy medium, not to thick but thick enough to cover what you need to cover. Make sure you lay it down and dont stand it up until its completely cured, usually 24 hours or so is good. If you really insist on doing "layers" I would def not let it fully cure, let it get to the point where its starting to look dry and take a paint brush and just moisten the previous layer, DO NOT drench it!!!! Just enough so its shiny again. Then put your next layer on. I dont suggest doing this as Im not really sure how it will come out. If you can stick to one nice even, NOT to thick coat. Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions you may have! Happy herpin!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think your right about layers because everyone on here seems to do 3-4 layers of concrete.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ok. If your a concrete export why did you ask the question? Go ahead and do however many layers you want its your tank! ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes now that I have seen that post I know what you are talking about. That is underlayment cement. That is made specifically to bond to previously laid concrete or cement. You cannot do that with a bag of quickcrete regular concrete or cement. Make sure when you do it you grab the right material. I would suggest hydraulic cement or underlayment cement because they are specifically designed to adhere to other cements and concrete. Good luck!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Btw I hope your viv comes out lookin as good as that one cause it looks friggin amazing! Nice find!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts