Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,this is hugo form Taiwan,i set up my first viv about 2 months ago,2 little guys came to live at first of this month,i have been told they are pair of Santa Isabel aorund 4 months old.
Can anyone tell which one is male,which one is female or too young to tell ?
I really concern about feeding them,cause i never saw they eating FF or spring,even i try to drop FF in front of them,they just look and no action.I have seen new poop sometimes and someone tell me that they dont eat much, is that true?
Any experience Sharing about feeding Epipedobates will be highly appreciated.:)

What kind of food they are prefer? FF ? springtails ? Isopods ?
How often and how many once?

this is condition of my viv
size: around 6 gallon (too small i know, so 2 will be maximum)
humidity: 80% above
Tem:min71~max82 usually around 75-79

Attachments

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Hey Hugo,
First off, they are eating something or they wouldn't be pooping. Plus in your pics they are not wasting away. They do look a little thin but not too bad. They will eat everything you mentioned, flightless fruit flies, springtails, and Isopods/woodlice. Your fruitflies need to be dusted with a vitamin and also a calcium additive. I like the Repashy Calcium Plus as a nice all in one dust.
You should strive to establish springtails and isopods in your viv so that they are always present.
I feel I would be remiss not to mention that a bigger viv is highly reccommended. Also, your moss is beautiful, but moss is for you. Not your frogs. Your frogs want leaf litter. Dead dry leaves piled up to two inches thick. This gives them a hunting ground. It also gives your springtails and isopods places to live, hide, and breed so that they are always available for between meal snacks. A small frog like yours probably won't eat adult isopods, this lets them live and breed and your frogs will hunt through the leaf litter picking off the babies.
As far as fruitflies go, it's kind of more by feel. Sprinkle some in and if you can't find a single one the next day, you didn't put enough in. If you see lots of them still walking around in two days, you fed too heavy.
With your smaller viv, you will probably want to do smaller feedings, more often. Don't want to stress them out by having flies walk all over them.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Both frogs look completely healthy--no apparent thinness from not eating. If anything, I would add some leaf litter to the tank to provide more cover for them to hide under.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Towelie,

You can add a small piece of banana or orange to set-up a feeding station for them. The ffs will head to the fruit, so you'll better be able to see them feeding, and the ffs will lay eggs on the fruits (producing some nice maggots as an alternate food for them).

Good luck! Richard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your advise, i put a little piece of banana yesterday ,when i back home they just hanging around banana and FF gone.
Will keep doing this way, dusting with vitamin and calcium, i did put springtails 1 or 2 times a week, but never see them ,not sure they are exist or not.still looking for isopods to culture.
This habit here is not as popular as US or Euro,i couldn't find a lot of stuff that be mentioned here, im sure no sponsor sell
oak or Magnolia leaves,actually no one sell leaves here, can i just put some big, thickness dead dry leaves, any common leaves you recommend ?
If i find suitable leaves for viv, should i take moss out or just add on ?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You'll need to make sure that they are non toxic. Other than that, any leaves will work, it's just that the ones we have recommended will last a long time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Doug
got it with many thanks, i have one more question for u ,can you recognize sex of them ?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I'm afraid I have not worked with any of the Tricolors or Anthonyi, let alone Santa Isabel. Plenty of people here who have though. Get some more shots like that top down shot and start a new thread asking for sexing help. There are people here much better qualified than I am for that one. Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm afraid I have not worked with any of the Tricolors or Anthonyi, let alone Santa Isabel. Plenty of people here who have though. Get some more shots like that top down shot and start a new thread asking for sexing help. There are people here much better qualified than I am for that one. Good Luck!
thanks for quickly reply, try to take some good shots asap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts