Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a computer fan for my viv but i dont know what to use to connect it... can anyone tell me what they did

G

·
Figure out how many Volts it uses, then buy an AC adaptor or find an extra one laying around and strip the wires a lil and connect the corresponding wires from the adaptor to the fan. Getting the correct voltage for the fan you have is important as if you get too low it won't work and too high, the fan will burn out.

G

·
I dont think you have to be exact, I had bought a variable voltage ac to dc adapter, hooked up a few computer fans. I can (and I'm sure you could too) alter the speed of the fan by changing the voltage. Obviously, to low and the fan won't turn , to high and you can short/destroy it..

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how does an AC adpter look like

G

·
An ac adaptor is a transformer. If you are like me you probably have a few already. An old rechargeable drill, or a cordless phone, many of those are close enough in dc voltage to work.

G

·
I had bought a set up for this at IAD a couple of years ago when I was thinking of getting into darts then. I have yet to get any but hope to soon. I still have my set up but need to find it. I could take some pictures if I do and so you what it all looks like.

Mike P.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
You want a universal AC/DC converter, they sell them at walmart or radio shack. They come with voltage selectors on the front and are meant to be used to charge cell phones or run other low voltage devices. They run from $10-20. Try to find one that is 300ma, as it is all that is needed. After you get it you can cut the end off and wire it to the fans wires. You can then regulate the fan speed with the voltage.

Good luck,

G

·
I found my fan unit I had bought. The place has a website if you would like to see what they look like. You can also buy them from them. I had bought the viv-air 400pro when I bought it at IAD a few years ago. I believe I paid $60 at the time for it but can not remember.
http://www.viv-air.com

Mike P.

·
Registered
986 Posts
You can get a universal 300 mAh adapter at Wal-Mart for about $15. This allows you to select a voltage from 3-12 volts, allowing you to vary the speed of the fan. If you have the proper type fan (only 2 wires, no heat controller), you just hook up black to black and white to white (or red).

G

·
Do you use resistance on the hot wire? Most computer fans have a max current of 160 maH. You could wire on 2 fans. I used a 12.6V 300 maH transformer from radio shack, but was going to have to use a resistor. So I decided to use two fans which would each draw 150 maH max.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Nope un-needed. I have had some running for well over a year with no issues.

Jared J said:
Do you use resistance on the hot wire? Most computer fans have a max current of 160 maH. You could wire on 2 fans. I used a 12.6V 300 maH transformer from radio shack, but was going to have to use a resistor. So I decided to use two fans which would each draw 150 maH max.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts