Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have checked over other threads of this nature and i havent quite gotten this question completely answered or i have heard mixed reviews and emotions on the topic. I am not a newbie when it comes to having amphibians, but i am new to Dart Frogs so i take caution, do the research and ask questions for more experienced keepers.

I have the general idea for my tank and how i want to build it. The tank is a zoomed 18x18x24. I have not yet purchased said tank because i am still in debate whether it is the best "style" and size in comparison to what i could get that is different. So far this is what i am leaning towards the most.

My question though naturally is what frog? I am looking for a frog that does well in groups but can also have plenty of space in this size tank. I believe in comparison to gallons it is approx. 36? So far i have read about auratus, leucs and vents (thumbnails).

Some people say newbies should stray away from thumbs as a first dart frog but others say some experience and a little trial and error should be fine for keeping them. I originally wanted the auratus but i keep getting opposite opinions on them being in a group and leucs as well.

My goal was to have maybe 3 or 4 frogs because of the 1 for 10gal rule (which i heard could also be 1 for 5) but i want to make sure they all have plenty of space.

Please any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Auroteania are great community frogs. A group of 5 could be easliy kepy in a standard 20 gallon
Do you know right off how who breeds these currently? I noticed JoshsFrogs doesnt have them listed as a choice but not instock. So im not sure if he even has them breeding. Just wondering. They do look good. I am building a tank in coop. with my boss. We are both working on a tank at the same time. He is looking at the bumblebee leucs.

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a group of vents, variabilis, or anthonyii would do great in that type of tank.
When you say a group of vents, how many would you say would be a decent sized group in this size tank? I had someone else tell me that vents would be good and i do like vents. Suggestion?

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, I would reconsider tank dimensions if you get something terrestrial...
The verdict was just decided to drop the 18x18x24 and go with a standard 55 gal tank instead since i have two already in my possession. I use to have a good collection of reptiles and amphibians but had to give most of them up when i moved. Getting back into the hobby but only in this area. Concentration my ideas and habits only on dart frogs. The 55 gal also gives a lot more floor space which is fantastic for a lot of terrestrial darts.

What would you suggest now?

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Registered
658 Posts
For your first frogs, leucs would be a great choice as they are out and about more than any other frog that was listed. Just can't go wrong. Great social frog too. I started with 5 in my 55 gallon bowfront tank.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm new to the hobby as well and have a couple cobalts and a costa rican green and black auratus. Most people say the cobalts (and most other tincs) are mostly terrestrial, but mine love to climb all over the place. As for the auratus, its very shy and is hardly ever out unless its chasing flies. Quite a shame because its one of the most beautiful frogs in my opinion. I love the colors of leucs too (probably because im from pittsburgh), but i love my cobalts so i'd recommend them to anyone :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah. I like leucs but my boss and i are both building tanks and he kinda claimed leucs lol. He is building one and i am building one. Thats why i am still looking at other species.

Beautiful tank. Question:

How did you do the background?

I'm still leaning towards the kitty litter/clay background.

Wayne

·
Registered
658 Posts
My background is GS and cork bark with some grapewood mixed in. I would suggest if you go that root, to silicone the back so the GS will stick better. I did not do that and in some places, I had to redo. My other tanks have silicone on them. After I used GS, I then wiped silicone on and added the bark chips and coco chips. I have had this up for 2 years now and doing just fine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Colleen,

Do you mean put silicone directly on the back of the tank prior to using the Greatstuff to get it something to adhere to better or just siliconing the back of the wood beforehand to provide better grip for heavier weight? or both?

thanks,
wayne

·
Registered
658 Posts
The silicone for the back area where you will be putting the GS on. The GS will adhere much better to silicone than to glass. AND you don't see the ugly GS yellow coloring. With black silicone, it works both to adhere and not see the GS. You will then use more silicone to add your mixture of coco bark, soil ? or whatever for the background including cork bark. Do your big pieces first (cork bark and wood pieces). Let dry for 24 hours each step.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Colleen,

Thanks. Thats what i thought you meant. I am still looking into my background design overall. Any other tips or tricks?

Wayne

·
Registered
658 Posts
No problem. Just don't spend too much time and $ on it. The plants will eventually cover and you spent so much time and possibly $ to get it "right". You will see it for about maybe 6 months and if you get the correct plants/vines in, they will take over. Have fun with your design and it is good to do your homework!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts