Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Figured I'd compile a list since I have most of the names at this point, note that I'm not an entomologist so don't flip switches if I'm wrong with any of these.. I'll make it clear what's known and what's an educated guess.

I realize there are a few other species floating around, but I'm sticking to the common ones for now... at least until some sort of ID comes up on the others. Pictures are not mine... will give credit where I can find the info.

Springtails:

Temperate whites - Folsomia Candida

(photo from stevehopkin.co.uk)

Temperate blacks - Tomocerus sp. (best guess - T. minor)

Temperate silvers - NOID, (hail mary guess - Lepidocyrtus sp.)

(photo by Mike Khadavi)

Blues - Probably Podura or Hypogastrura sp... could be a few others as well though.

(http://baypoll.blogspot.com/2011/03/bees-and-springtails.html)

Tropical Pinks - Sinella sp. (best guess - S. curviseta)

Tropical Whites - Sinella sp.

(photo by markbudde)

Isopods:

Dwarf Whites - Trichorhina tomentosa

Dwarf Purples - Trichoniscus pusillus?

Dwarf Striped - Philoscia muscorum

Orange - Porcellio scaber

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Hmmmm it was my understanding that the common white tropical springtails are also Folsoma candida
The problem is that Folsomia candida are surprisingly invasive if given a chance. This has resulted in people recieving cultures of what were supposed to be Sinella but instead getting the Folosomia. Hence the confusion about the two species.

Ed

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm it was my understanding that the common white tropical springtails are also Folsoma candida
In the literature, I've seen it mentioned several times that F. candida has become so widespread that it's impossible to know where it came from originally. Sinella is also fairly widespread which makes it even more difficult to say.

However, according to some scientific articles, the optimum temperatures for Sinella species I've been able to find are typically around ~30C, while for F. candida the optimal temperature is ~21C and reproduction stops above 28C....

That info (along with pink Sinella being called "tropical" as well) points to Sinella being the "more tropical" of the two, whether either species is actually tropical or not. It seems to be a crapshoot between the two for what was called what in the past, but this seems the most logical solution given the info available to us.

On a side note, I've posted this elsewhere recently but thought it belonged in this thread as well - Photo credit to Randy/dartsami from E and K Best Buys:

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hey Teddy,could you please tell me what method you guys use to culture the temperate grey,i could be hugely wrong!!! but it looks very much like the little grey i have in our compost bins,which does well there but i can't culture it for love or money well not yet anyway,maybe due to warmth as it does seem to to best in our cooler months,remember i am in England .So as well as a rough method a guidance for temperature would be much appreciated.
Great post
thankyou
Stu

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Teddy,could you please tell me what method you guys use to culture the temperate grey,i could be hugely wrong!!! but it looks very much like the little grey i have in our compost bins,which does well there but i can't culture it for love or money well not yet anyway,maybe due to warmth as it does seem to to best in our cooler months,remember i am in England .So as well as a rough method a guidance for temperature would be much appreciated.
Great post
thankyou
Stu
Room temp, they are ~4" above a T8 fluorescent so maybe a degree or two warmer. Are you trying to raise them on charcoal alone? I recently tried adding a couple of cardboard squares and their population has taken off/mortality has dropped (so I'm not sure if they're breeding faster or I'm just seeing the percentage that was dying before), they really seem to like it. In my experience they also seem to prefer drier conditions than other springs, those two things were the difference makers for me with culturing these guys.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Room temp, they are ~4" above a T8 fluorescent so maybe a degree or two warmer. Are you trying to raise them on charcoal alone? I recently tried adding a couple of cardboard squares and their population has taken off/mortality has dropped (so I'm not sure if they're breeding faster or I'm just seeing the percentage that was dying before), they really seem to like it. In my experience they also seem to prefer drier conditions than other springs, those two things were the difference makers for me with culturing these guys.
I've tried charcoal and coco fiber,very much earlier this year,but on both occasions complete crash in days,in the coolest place in our room, mind it must be stated i have learned abit since then and also because of the quantity i have been able to harvest without culturing i have not made strenuous efforts with them. But, becuase we have so many possible froglets in the pipeline,springtails are becoming ever more important to us.Tell me did you add the cardboard to the charcoal only culture?
Second question is what are you feeding?
Interesting what you have mentioned with the card squares,as this is my method of harvest as this particular species congregates upon the card,and they seem to also like erm tea bags,well they are English:D.
This is a great help to me /us Teddy,I have friends whom would also benefit from these if we could master them,i sent some to a friend in the spring which is mild here, well lets say not too hot not too cold when they travelled,unfortunately all dead on arrival.
much appreciated
regards
Stu

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tell me did you add the cardboard to the charcoal only culture?
Second question is what are you feeding?

much appreciated
regards
Stu
Stu,
Yeah I added the squares to cultures that are otherwise just charcoal & water. I'm feeding mostly yeast & small dog food bits, with the occasional mushroom or fish flakes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi stu hope your good,as it goes i,m trying to culture these at the moment and i admit when i first tried culturing them over a year ago the culture crashed also very quickly within a week.

but fast forward and i've been trying again for last 3 weeks or so and there doing much better,not booming yet but are still alive.

the difference this time is i've added vents thanks
(pumilio) on the side of the 2/3 litre food tubs i use what i have done is to drill 20mm holes on either end not on top so they can be stacked with out blocking vents.

then i've got a bit of pva glue and stuck cut out round disks of weed block the fabric type,how i did this is stick masking tape on weed block and using a pencil traced round 30 mm drill bit to allow exstra edge to glue slightly OCD!! lol.

as for water very slightly damp substrate but with high humidity and using R.O water with replacement minerals/or rain water when avalable.never tap water.

interior is collected soil from woodland very humousy and dark with lots of organics/grass plain more clay based with alot of minerals, not microwaved but checked for pests as it will be loaded with good stuff the springtails can eat staight away.

on this few small twigs broke up i.e english oak/sicamore. and torn up leaves of both, filled to about half the tub plus other organic debri's

as to food i'm still exsperimenting but i'm drying out organic shop brought mushrooms/spinach by wraping in kithcen towel and placing in fridge or in cool airy cubard, i also collect dandelion leaves to dry, plus flowers and clover leaves/ flower's and lichen,plus oats like( scottish) non processed and microwaved and ground up. plus mixed non salted nuts like cashew/brazil/walnut for protein and fats once all these items are dry aprt from nuts which have the natural oils i grind this mix alltogether and store in fridge with a small bit of clingfilm between the tight fitting lid for (maybe)exstra freshness.

also stu i keep my cultures in a non heated room away from fly cultures and to be honest i think it benifits them the cooler temps.:)as in winter they wuold have a dormant period.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hi stu hope your good,as it goes i,m trying to culture these at the moment and i admit when i first tried culturing them over a year ago the culture crashed also very quickly within a week.

but fast forward and i've been trying again for last 3 weeks or so and there doing much better,not booming yet but are still alive.

(pumilio) on the side of the 2/3 litre food tubs i use what i have done is to drill 20mm holes on either end not on top so they can be stacked with out blocking vents.

then i've got a bit of pva glue and stuck cut out round disks of weed block the fabric type,how i did this is stick masking tape on weed block and using a pencil traced round 30 mm drill bit to allow exstra edge to glue slightly OCD!! lol.

as for water very slightly damp substrate but with high humidity and using R.O water with replacement minerals/or rain water when avalable.never tap water.

interior is collected soil from woodland very humousy and dark with lots of organics/grass plain more clay based with alot of minerals, not microwaved but checked for pests as it will be loaded with good stuff the springtails can eat staight away.

on this few small twigs broke up i.e english oak/sicamore. and torn up leaves of both, filled to about half the tub plus other organic debri's

as to food i'm still exsperimenting but i'm drying out organic shop brought mushrooms/spinach by wraping in kithcen towel and placing in fridge or in cool airy cubard, i also collect dandelion leaves to dry, plus flowers and clover leaves/ flower's and lichen,plus oats like( scottish) non processed and microwaved and ground up. plus mixed non salted nuts like cashew/brazil/walnut for protein and fats once all these items are dry aprt from nuts which have the natural oils i grind this mix alltogether and store in fridge with a small bit of clingfilm between the tight fitting lid for (maybe)exstra freshness.

also stu i keep my cultures in a non heated room away from fly cultures and to be honest i think it benifits them the cooler temps.:)as in winter they wuold have a dormant period.
Hi Leon hope you and yours are well too mate and i'll chuck in a merry chrmbo too:D.
Massive thanks for the detail,we''l be having a crack soon on these. I read about your wild foraging,for the springtails food very interesting,about the clover and dandelion,fascinating i know why you are doing this.
We are really going for it on the springculturing at present due to the numbers of froglets that could grace us,so all these things and especially the details are of great use,we have various methods on the go and i have just ,I THINK:D,managed to isolate another species that came here in a woodlice culture, might be another spring,sorry, to our bow. We are in very much uncharted territory now,so you can tell how much we appreciate your above post,thanks for the help mate
Stu

·
Registered
10,415 Posts

You cannot see mite eggs in dirt with the naked eye. Mites are everywhere. I'm afraid this may become a problem with this culturing method.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
You cannot see mite eggs in dirt with the naked eye. Mites are everywhere. I'm afraid this may become a problem with this culturing method.
I'm with Doug, you cannot prevent mites from occuring in the substrate in this cuture method.

Ed

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi stu i hope your well and a merry christmas to both of you and the frogs lol,as to my methods i hope they can help as its still kind of an exsperiment and i am changing things alot.

as it goes i've only started adding twigs again for more surface area/hide spots but i do like multiple organics as it gives the springs in there more choice of food diversity,and when i go collecting bugs /sieveing i find alot of springs and literally 100's of other tiny bugs in the collection tub from were i collect the soil leaves, and see at least several different types of insects in there of each species

It's such a rewarding feeling when you place the collected stuff in the frogs viv and they literally go mad for it i remember when i first ever did it and i've never seen frogs get so excited.

another tip i also do is slightly spray the collected insects when there in the viv on the food dish with water (only slighty)as the leaf mold can stick as they strike the food

with regards to cursed nemertean worms and snails i'm working on and idea that once the food is collected is to plaice it on kithcen towel on mesh in a burlese funnel that i will get round to making,the idea is that any fast moving scurring insects can get down the shoot quick while slow moving worms and snails dry out quickly.

Also i do agree with both Doug and Edd,and i was concerned about introducing predatory mites and scuttle flies but so far it seems to be good.but i will keep an eye out.

as to why i don't use coco fibre in my cultures anymore is i was reading a vivarium book a couple years back and it said it holds salt from the beaches were its processed.. ( i did not know this )that now exsplains why when i changed quarantine tubs the frogs always jumped about like it was iritating them

anyway hope some idea's help stu and i must say your having brilliant success with your collection and the viv's are stunning all the best.:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
funny also you mention that Julio all though i dont think the climate of the uk compares to peru,i would love to go out to an area where our frogs naturaly occur ,but the i place also have the most luck with collecting things is on a large bit of board say like 7feet by 4 that had foam attached to the underneath of it and this was covered in fallen leaves about two inches thick.

so when i found it and it is a brilliant collecting area i bate it with fish food/oats etc. and can sometimes collect good amounts rite up till this month uk season,as the foam acts as the insulator against cold ground.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
funny also you mention that Julio all though i dont think the climate of the uk compares to peru,i would love to go out to an area where our frogs naturaly occur ,but the i place also have the most luck with collecting things is on a large bit of board say like 7feet by 4 that had foam attached to the underneath of it and this was covered in fallen leaves about two inches thick.

so when i found it and it is a brilliant collecting area i bate it with fish food/oats etc. and can sometimes collect good amounts rite up till this month uk season,as the foam acts as the insulator against cold ground.
You're braver than I am. With all these collections from the wild it seems like you are really tempting fate. I would be worried about eventually introducing something deadly nasty like Chytrid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi pumilio,yeah i do understand i'm taking risk's all the time when i go and collect stuff but to be honest i think the beniefits far out way the negative in terms of variation of food and amount caught.

Chytrid is a horrible desease from what i've read but i have always tried to collect from safe area's away from roads/farmland any where chemicals may have been used,and as it goes i've regulary collected food for 10 years or so with know problems,i once raised a batch of 40 or so leucomelas and thats all they had i would go twice a day and they seemed to love what they were having.sometimes on a good day the tub can be alive with a mass of insects.

i keep a few checks of what i catch trying to avoid large growing spiders centipedes predator beetle larvae also.

I think i also give credit to Mark at dartfrog uk as it was a video i got years ago that gave me the idea and i'm convinced it helps with breeding,i like to look at it as with us in that if you grow your own veg it tastes so much better than shop brought/same with meat in that people who eat deer/wild boar say it's very rich compared to shop brought meat all though i would not do this and couldn't afford it anyway.:p

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Chytrid has nothing to do with chemicals. It is a fungus spreading across the planet. It could be found anywhere.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Damm lol,im just getting with it from a late night the brains not functoning yet lol. i was meant to say that in the first post but then went in to chemicals,but yeah i do understand that it can be in the enviroment allready possibly through native amphibian populations.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts