Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not planning on trying this anytime soon; but i was wondering if anyone has ever combined two aquariums into one.

I have two empty 20g highs that i want to put to good use. Id rather have a large aquarium than two small ones. Is it alright to combine them ontop of each other, then cut the "bottom" (now the top) of the aquarium; add a hinge then use it as a hood? I know its been done, but is it worth it..

Or does anyone have any other ideas on what to do with the 20's?
M.N

G

·
0 Posts
I've seen it done that way with fair success. The thing you have to remember is that you'll have that (ugly) frame in the middle of the tank. You could always build an extension over the top of them to expand it into what ever you wished.
j

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that; but i was planning to do a paludarium. The bottom 20g would be filled with water; and the top one with branches and such. The frame down the middle would act like a seperator to the eye dont you think? I can always remove the frame; i did it on a 10g. Not easy, but works.

M.N

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have also seen it done before. In fact, there's a reptile book out there that shows how to do it in detail, but I can't remember the title.

However, I think that in this case, it wouldn't look that good, because it would look like you had an aquarium stacked on top of a vivarium. Feel free to prove me wrong, though.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I've done that. If you are setting it up for darts with a water feature and no water bowl, I'm sure it's be fine. Mine was up against a wall, therefore I couldn't tilt the top back (dangerous if there's frogs around it) so I had to reach in from top and it is pretty tall.

G

·
0 Posts
I saw a picture of a guy who did something like this. I'm pretty sure that he posted it in Members frogs and terreriums a while back. It looked ok but i really didn't like the plastic lip, but u can decide.

If i have time ill try to find and post a link.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Derek Benson said:
Mine was up against a wall, therefore I couldn't tilt the top back (dangerous if there's frogs around it) so I had to reach in from top and it is pretty tall.
Yea i thought about making a front open tank like the european or dutch style ones.

M.N

·
Registered
104 Posts
I like moes idea better this way you dont have to stick your whole body in the tank to change something on the bottom. I would remove that black rim with a saw similar to the way rob did the vertical 10gals

1 - 9 of 9 Posts