Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 20x16x20 tank thinking I would get some larger frogs. Then I decide to get some amazonicus, so my question is do you guys think this size is big enoigh to put in a trio of amazonicus and some ground dwellers and if so what??? There is a lot of room on the bottom that the amazonicus won't use and it's pretty tall so I am going to be putting in a lot of broms and stuff.

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the larger frogs would eat the smaller ones. Always better and less stressful to have them in sperate tanks.

Froggt said:
I just bought a 20x16x20 tank thinking I would get some larger frogs. Then I decide to get some amazonicus, so my question is do you guys think this size is big enoigh to put in a trio of amazonicus and some ground dwellers and if so what??? There is a lot of room on the bottom that the amazonicus won't use and it's pretty tall so I am going to be putting in a lot of broms and stuff.

·
Administrator
8,805 Posts
They might try to eat the froglets of thumbnails, but they're not going to try and eat adults of thumbnails.

Unless you're keeping African or American Bullfrogs with them.

I know many people who have kept combinations like Azureus / Imitator together.

The general feeling is... if you're trying to breed them, keep them separate.

s
kyle1745 said:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the larger frogs would eat the smaller ones. Always better and less stressful to have them in sperate tanks.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Well, this totally depends on what two frogs you are going to combine. If you were to go with terribilis, well then I wouldn't keep any thumbnails with them. You would have some nice fat terribilis, but wouldn't be able to find those amazonicus lol. Tincs, leuc, and auratus would probably be better... maybe a dwarf tinc morph? I have also noticed that my Red amazonicus spend 90%+ of the time on the ground... so that might also come into account. But if you are going to breed, I wouldn't really combine anything like Scott said.

·
Registered
247 Posts
We keep 1.1 Suriname cobalt tinctorious with 3.1 imitator in a 90 gallon. All animals are extremely healthy, but obviously have enough room that they are not bothering each other. Your vivarium appears as though it is probably too small to attempt such a combination.

On a side note, it is really amazing how much more active the imitator are in this size of an enclosure, compared to their former 29 gallon home.

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
Interesting, on the imitators, mine are in a 15gal high and are not that active.

dvknight said:
We keep 1.1 Suriname cobalt tinctorious with 3.1 imitator in a 90 gallon. All animals are extremely healthy, but obviously have enough room that they are not bothering each other. Your vivarium appears as though it is probably too small to attempt such a combination.

On a side note, it is really amazing how much more active the imitator are in this size of an enclosure, compared to their former 29 gallon home.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree that the tank is too small for such a mix. I have mixed offspring from frogs (reared to adults) in tanks from 50-90 gallons with good luck in the past. I say offspring meaning that I had a bunch of them, so they weren't the main frogs for breeding at that time. They will breed just fine in a big enough mixed tank, but I didn't risk it. I would stick with more of an arboreal quinquevittatus group frogs (imitator group) to avoid any problems.
J

1 - 7 of 7 Posts