Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up one of these today. Was actually given a few free cuttings of it while at a local nursery. Anyone use it in vivs? It's got very unusual flowers, and looks like it would make a cool addition.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I say go ahead and add it! I have Columnea carnival so I don't see why Columnea rubra would be any different.

I agree that it does have very nice, unusual flowers

·
Registered
975 Posts
I use to have some potted in a background
it did fine for a while and even flowered a bit here and there but eventually died. I think NE herpitoculture carries it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Any pics? Should do well in a viv, i have a few Columnea, netamanthus etc in a small greenhouse and destined for viv use eventually. They seem to grow well in regular houseplant potting mix through to a coarse coco husk, coco peat, sphagnum mix

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No pics, I just have some small cuttings rooting in sphagnum. Not exactly picture worthy

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Pretty flowers. I've planted it in 2 different vivs, but it died pretty quickly both times. If you come up with the recipe, please post it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Pretty flowers. I've planted it in 2 different vivs, but it died pretty quickly both times. If you come up with the recipe, please post it.
Do different species of Columnea differ substantially in their level of difficulty to keep alive in a viv?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Grown as cuttings it does great. It eventyally gets kind of viney, like columnea are supposed to be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts