Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My columnea has fallen over and her stem is starting to turn a dark green color. I do not think she has root rot but it looks like she’s dying. There was a smaller one in the same pot as her that definitely has died. How do I save it? It is just a baby and barely grown

·
Registered
97 Posts
How do you care for it? How often do you water? When one of my columneas was having a rough time, I mounted it on the background of my dart frog viv. I don’t know if you have frogs, but if so, the high humidity, moderate light, and good airflow of a viv background do wonders for columneas. Of course it depends on species, but it’s worked for a couple of mine.

If you don’t have any frogs, I think finding and fixing the main issue is all you can do. These can be very prone to rot and like plenty of light (for the most part, also depends on species). What type is it? How much light does it get? It’s also worth knowing how much water you add. Do you just give it a little, or do you evenly dampen the soil when you water?

It doesn’t look like a pest issue to me, but it very well could be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought they liked shade, but after research realized they like light... I kept it in shaded parts of my room but now I have her under a grow light maybe to spark her back up. I typically mist her everyday for humidity purposes and around once a week or when the soil is feeling dry I will soak her all the way through. I do not have frogs unfortunately

·
Registered
77 Posts
You may want to move to a MUCH smaller pot. Like a one inch pot. I find that seedlings do a lot better in tiny pots as they establish roots. In a big pot they dont take up water fast enough to change the mixture from too wet to just right. Once you water the pot it stays too wet for too long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts