Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased some and was wondering if anyone else had it in their viv? How long did it take for it to become established?

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I've got some! Awesome plant. I don't have mine in a viv right now. I've got it in a large glass container with a lid that I made into a terrarium. In there, it grows pretty well. I think it does better if it's not in a really wet spot. Maybe midway up so it gets some light and air.

Remember that I'm a plant killer! Maybe you better wait for someone who knows what they're talking about. :p

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love getting advice from fellow plant murderers, since I can understand their difficulties and frustrations with plants that just don't want to stay alive. Oh, and trust me I know you're a plant murderer, but only because you've admitted to such crimes, not because I make assumptions lol

I'm pretty excited about this plant though since I heard it blooms often and I am a big sucker for things that bloom.

How big has yours gotten in the terrarium you made?

I've got some! Awesome plant. I don't have mine in a viv right now. I've got it in a large glass container with a lid that I made into a terrarium. In there, it grows pretty well. I think it does better if it's not in a really wet spot. Maybe midway up so it gets some light and air.

Remember that I'm a plant killer! Maybe you better wait for someone who knows what they're talking about. :p

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My clipping arrived in the mail today and I wanted to know how to get it to root. Any suggestions? Do I simply place it in the tank. FYI I am the worst when it comes to plants.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
If you're brave enough to take my advice, I'll give it. :p

I would put it in the viv. Attach it or position it so that the length of the stem makes contact with something to grow on. The roots grow out like hairs all up and down the stem. I'd make sure that it got some light, but not way up near the lamp. And I'd make sure it got some air. Maybe midway?

I'll take a pic of the one I have growing in the terrarium, in the morning.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha! I will take your advice, but i'll keep in mind that you murder plants :p

So should I remove the bottom most leaves from the stem and stick that end straight into the soil? How long before it establishes some nice roots for itself.

Looking forward to the picture!

If you're brave enough to take my advice, I'll give it. :p

I would put it in the viv. Attach it or position it so that the length of the stem makes contact with something to grow on. The roots grow out like hairs all up and down the stem. I'd make sure that it got some light, but not way up near the lamp. And I'd make sure it got some air. Maybe midway?

I'll take a pic of the one I have growing in the terrarium, in the morning.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
what I have done with columnea is, I take the cutting, pull of an inch or so of leaves from the bottom(roots will grow from where the leaves were removed) and stick it in the dirt. If its a pot, I cover it with a plastic bag. If its in the viv I just pull of leaves and stick it in the substrate. Its not really a climber but will grow long untll it falls over. Keep taking cuttings and youll have a really nice plant in no time.
Also dont have it in a ton of sunlight. I few inches away from a window on the sill or i out my cuttings next to my vivs and the spill from the lights seems to be enough

PS I dont kill plants. I resurrect them

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Sorry, no pics this morning. I tried to burn my house down last night and, in the aftermath, didn't get a chance to take pics.

Smoke alarm started going crazy around 2:30 am. House filled with smoke. I'm running around trying to figure out how to get my frogs and cat out safely. Finally make my way to the kitchen to find a large pot of leaf litter on the stove, set on high, burning. OMG... I am now only allowed to cook leaves during the day, on the weekends, lol.

The smoke was crazy! Imagine burning leaves in your house. Covered all the tanks to keep smoke from filling them. Turned on fans and AC to get outside air inside and moving around. Had to sleep with my head under the covers so I could breath.

All critters appear to be in good health today. I have a nasty cough and a headache though.

Anyway, good times, good times.

Sorry for the hijack! :D

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Woah! Thats insane! No worries about the hijack! :) The Columnea pictures can definitely wait.

Glad everyone is safe and doing okay! Hopefully the smoke smell doesnt stick around for too long.

I know I would have freaked out for sure!

You should get some fresh air. That should help with the headache and cough.

Sorry, no pics this morning. I tried to burn my house down last night and, in the aftermath, didn't get a chance to take pics.

Smoke alarm started going crazy around 2:30 am. House filled with smoke. I'm running around trying to figure out how to get my frogs and cat out safely. Finally make my way to the kitchen to find a large pot of leaf litter on the stove, set on high, burning. OMG... I am now only allowed to cook leaves during the day, on the weekends, lol.

The smoke was crazy! Imagine burning leaves in your house. Covered all the tanks to keep smoke from filling them. Turned on fans and AC to get outside air inside and moving around. Had to sleep with my head under the covers so I could breath.

All critters appear to be in good health today. I have a nasty cough and a headache though.

Anyway, good times, good times.

Sorry for the hijack! :D

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How long does it usually take for a plant like this to set roots? I see no signs as of 5 minutes ago :D

·
Registered
543 Posts
OMG I forgot that I was taking pictures. Ok, tomorrow! Seems like there were roots in a week, maybe? Not sure. I wasn't really watching for it.
Don't burn down the House Kris. At least, try to have a GOOd excuse, like deep frying the turkey or something, not cooking leaf litter. Glad you and the froggies are ok.

Zac

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Ok here it is!

Sorry, I didn't realize how dusty the container was until after I took the pics. It's on a forgotten shelf in my frog room and gets just enough light. Maybe I'll move it somewhere brighter.

The lighter one is the Columnea 'Carnival'. It, and the other, was just dropped in, as is. The horizontally oriented sections have roots growing down into the substrate. I think the ones that are reaching up are looking for more light. :p

There is also some sphagnum in there. It tries to choke out the other plants so I harvest it from time to time and drop it into a 10g that I also have some java moss growing in.

100_1369.jpg

100_1370.jpg

100_1373.jpg

eta: There are springs in there, too, keeping things clean. :D

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I thought i'd share my Columnea's progress.

It finally rooted and seems like it will be blooming soon because it has developed plenty of flower buds.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts