Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone in the US raising or breeding Colostethus right now? They're not as colorful or toxic as members of other dendrobatid genera, but they make up for it with their vocalizations. I'm particularly interested in the tadpole morphology of these guys. Any takers???

Mike

·
Registered
433 Posts
Colostethus Tadpoles

Hi.

'Fraid I don't know anyone working with the genus in captivity, but I couldn't agree with you more about the tadpole morphology. Some of Caldwell's Colosethus tadpole descriptions have been wild! I would love to see more documentation of the tadpoles coming out of the hobby- Tor Linbo's photo series have been great, but precious little is else is available.

This is an area in which Dendro hobbists could make a real difference to the science side of things- we have very little information on tadpoles in general. Within the dendrobatids, even species commonly kept in captivity, the tadpoles are poorly, if at all, described.

Someone with a good camera, a copy of the Gosner stages, and a lot of patience would be very much appreciated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts