Dendroboard banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Oh I'm not knowledgeable, I do a ton of trial and error and this forum has been incredibly helpful. I'm not sure about that one. My fireball is pretty red but I have neo "blushing" that's a strong pink.
The fireball is on the left and the blushing on the right. The fireball has a much darker red than the lighter red/pink of the blushing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Wow, cool pictures! from what it looks like in teddys picture, I don’t think the mystery brom is a fireball. However, could it be a grenada? the only think about them is they get 12” in width, and it doesnt look like the mystery brom is that size.

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
163 Posts
There are many very pink/red/purple varieties out there, I think this thread shows. Maybe it would be best if you browsed some specific sites and just picked what’s available that stands out to you?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Are there any local greenhouses near you? It might help to see an actual in person red bromeliad than an online photo. Most of mine are pretty different from what their photos showed in regards to color.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So many broms will color up nicely. Much is going to depend on your lighting set up and how many hours a day you run your lighting schedule, humidity, etc.

One is limited to Neoregelia species either I have a Tillandsia "Capitata Peach" that after a few months really exploded in color, the the flourish of purple blooms for about a little over a week. Letting the cycle continue to its end and hope to have a few pups when it is over.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yeah sadly the only plants greenhouses sell near me are the flower plants that are usually seen in hanging baskets. I’m sure there would be tons of neoregelias if I was in a place like Florida, but I’m in NE America so there isnt much variety in the plants. I think ive heard that there are a lot of “froggers” in this area so that is good to know. And yes there are a lot of neos that color up a lot, but IMO a bright pink one like this pops out the most compared to anything else. Thank you everyone for all the responses!

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is Neoregelia 'Domino', a mini as far as I know (at/under 6" if I remember correctly). Was getting in the range of 200-300 PAR in this location.
I currently have it in a temporary holding location while I redo this tank, and it's in less light. Has darkened a bit so the purplish tone is now more purple/red-black, which I also find cool.

Neoreglia 'Little Faith' getting about 160 PAR here, also mini. This mature rosette has aged a bit now after this pic (and is also in a temp. location) and has taken-on some golden tones, probably due to decline plus possibly needing more nutrients than I've given it (I don't keep frogs). Still, the pups are doing well and have more of the coloration like below. May be more green than you were looking for, but at least the tips are screaming magenta.

·
Registered
Mantella baroni, Dendrobates auratus, Afrixalus dorsalis, Theloderma corticale
190 Posts
This is Neoregelia 'Domino', a mini as far as I know (at/under 6" if I remember correctly). Was getting in the range of 200-300 PAR in this location.
I currently have it in a temporary holding location while I redo this tank, and it's in less light. Has darkened a bit so the purplish tone is now more purple/red-black, which I also find cool.
View attachment 298541
I was going to suggest Neoregelia domino as well. I have had one for three years now and it has grown many offshoots so that the top left of the viv is now a lovely bunch of dark red/black leaves with green spots. Absolutely love it!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Wow those colors are more red then I would’ve expected! Johanovich, could you maybe post a picture of the domino?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts