Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was looking for neos to put in my tank. They will all be very close to the light, and should be receiving over 150 par. I thought that since they will have good lighting, I mine as well have really colorful species in there. I already planned on having a few certain ones in there, but I did some research and saw that they were nothing special under high light. So, I am looking for any really colorful species besides green. Anything that shows nice pinks, purples, oranges, or any color that really pops would be cool. There are a lot of neos that have some of these cool colors, but the problem is that they are mostly green besides the colorful parts. So, what neos would have some really bright colors that POP in a tank that is mostly green? Also: Please try to keep the suggestions under a certain price! the max I would want to spend for a single neo is $15. Any responses would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I forgot to mention that they should not be too big, 7x7inches would probably be the max size.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The thing is that’s pretty much the average neorgelia. Off the top of my head, I could name a few other species that look just like it with similar colors. I’m looking for something that really POPS, preferably something with pink, orange, purple, or any very bright colors. I’ll try and post a few examples

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
122 Posts
No photo yet, but I have a neo paprika (pepper and buccaneer cross) on the way. That one has some great color on it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just looked it up, it’s almost like a Zoe bit with red instead of the green. yea that does have some nice color, but for some reason any brown with the long, horizontal stripes just doesn’t look right to me. the shorter vertical stripes look fine for me tho, idk why the long ones look out of place. I was looking at “wild tiger” and it seems like that is a pretty cool species. It’s just that I look it up and some pictures make it seem much different than others. I’ll try to show an example of what I mean.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
these are both “Wild tiger”, they both have the same patterns in both pics. But why does the top picture have all red, orange, and yellow? The bottom picture still has a lot of red (for the high PAR zone on the right) but it doesn’t have any of these oranges and yellow colors.

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
122 Posts
these are both “Wild tiger”, they both have the same patterns in both pics. But why does the top picture have all red, orange, and yellow? The bottom picture still has a lot of red (for the high PAR zone on the right) but it doesn’t have any of these oranges and yellow colors.
View attachment 298407 View attachment 298408
Possibly because colors often fade, it could be the lighting?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you are probably right. Though the images make the plants seem like 2 completely different species. My guess is that the top one was grown under VERY high light (maybe natural sunlight) to the point where all the green faded and was replaced by the yellows and oranges.

·
Super Moderator
3,642 Posts
But why does the top picture have all red, orange, and yellow?
Most photos of items whose color is a major selling point will have the colors digitally enhanced. In general -- whether a seller of bromeliads or a model on Instagram -- I wouldn't take online vendor photos as a model of what's reasonably attainable.

·
Registered
Dendrobates Tinctorus “Azureus”, Epipedobates Anthonyi “Santa Isabel”, and also myself.
524 Posts
Fireball would be a good one. Or perhaps a red waif (one of many fireball hybrids). Here’s mine: View attachment 298406
When I had my fireball ship, it was a bright green. You have to wait a bit under good lighting to get that red, almost a reddish magenta, that most look for.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In this pic, does anyone know the species of these 2 bromeliads? one is in the top left, and is very pink. The other is at the very top towards the right side, and it is also pink. I’m guessing that both the pink broms are the same, but I just want to make sure. are these neoregelia fireball? Or another species of brom? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,061 Posts
I don't
In this pic, does anyone know the species of these 2 bromeliads? one is in the top left, and is very pink. The other is at the very top towards the right side, and it is also pink. I’m guessing that both the pink broms are the same, but I just want to make sure. are these neoregelia fireball? Or another species of brom? Thanks
View attachment 298411
Trying to identify what variety of bromeliad it is, from a picture, is going to be pretty much impossible.
Your best bet is to ask whoever owns the tank in the picture.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I looked through all the YouTube comments and couldn’t find anything. But it turns out he has a dendroboard account, and I think he made a build thread on this tank. His YouTube name is Joshua Turner, but I can’t find his dendroboard ID. You may recognize him from this tank he made Link but since I am new here, I dont know about usernames. Also the species of the plant isn’t really important, however I just would like to know bromeliads that have a nice pink color like they do

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I just found his username with the advanced search tool, it’s really helpful I should use it more. username: jturner And I watched the video he said he doesn’t know what species of neoregelia it is. He said he thinks it’s a bit too pink to be a fireball. But here is another picture from the top if that would help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! you seem pretty knowledgeable about broms, do you think that picture of the pink brom I posted could be a fireball?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Oh I'm not knowledgeable, I do a ton of trial and error and this forum has been incredibly helpful. I'm not sure about that one. My fireball is pretty red but I have neo "blushing" that's a strong pink.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts