Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the blue on Ranitomeya Benedicta Pampa Hermosa (RBPH) vary from sky blue to a purplish blue. The attached picture of pots and frogs show the color differences. Are these color variations simply on frogs of different ages, e.g., adult versus juvenile, or genetics, or some other reason? These pictures are from Jared Ruffing and Tincman, and I hope that's cool to share other people's pics with references.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Just lots of variability on all of these guys. Obviously, this is linked to genetics. Age can sometimes be a factor, but usually at the sizes we are seeing here, their final patterning and colouration is already there.

·
Administrator
5,569 Posts
Some of that is just photography skills, too. The middle photo is overexposed and the flash technique needs some work; the fat frog is obviously from Jared, who has that 'dorsal view of really bulky frogs on wet glass' shot mastered. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just lots of variability on all of these guys. Obviously, this is linked to genetics. Age can sometimes be a factor, but usually at the sizes we are seeing here, their final patterning and colouration is already there.
Thanks, Chris S! This truly helps me understand "the breed."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some of that is just photography skills, too. The middle photo is overexposed and the flash technique needs some work; the fat frog is obviously from Jared, who has that 'dorsal view of really bulky frogs on wet glass' shot mastered. ;)
Haha, Socratic Monologue! Nailed it on the Jared Ruffing pic. I friggin love this picture partly because I'm so into robust frogs. Thanks for your input on the photography aspect! That had initially crossed my mind as a hypothesis but I had completely forgotten it. I appreciate your time!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts