Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the hobby and just got a new frog. It is a clown tree frog and it is brown with beige spots and I know that they can be dark red and light yellow so I just wanted to know what I should give it to enhance its color. I haven't found any color enhancing supplements so I just wanted some suggestions. I am giving it Repti-Cal and Repti-Vite. Thanks!

-Sam

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
You can try Repashy Calcium Plus as an alternative all-in-one supp, or SuperPig on top of what you're using now.... they both contain carotenoids that IIRC aren't present in the supps you're using.

Those products have shown to be pretty good at bringing out reds/oranges/yellows in certain frogs, might be worth a try... but keep in mind, a lot of clowns are just brownish with cream/yellow markings by nature.

This is just a guess, but the reddish/yellow frogs could either be variations within the species or it might be a breeding season thing (I've never bred D. leucophyllatus, so I'm not sure if the males do that).

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
They can also show some color variations due to stress as well as color changes depending on whether it is day time or night time, and in response to color.

It is unlikely that the frog in question is going to respond to carotenoids in the food with a change in coloration. It is more likely that the issue could be enviromental. I would still suggest following tclipse's suggestion since the carotenoids are still important for the immune system as well as other systems in the frog.

Some comments

Ed

Reactions: tclipse
1 - 3 of 3 Posts