Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have advice on how to have a good college interview for a soon-to-be interviewee...?

Please share your experiences or any advice you may have...
I've got my first interview on Thursday, and I'm quite nervous, though that nervousness is probably (hopefully) unwarranted.

I've been told that it's best to practice interviewing with local schools that you don't really want to get into, just to get a feel for things.
Unfortunately my schedule is set up so that the first school I go to is one of the schools I'm most interested in. >:|

Thanks,

·
Registered
390 Posts
Eye contact! ...it is seemingly so trivial, but so immensely important. Other than that just make sure you are prepped for the usual questions (why this school?, what do you want to get out of an education here?, etc.).

·
Registered
776 Posts
Confidence. Also stress your strong points and avoid anything that sounds like an excuse. Is this a specific program you are interviewing for?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Do not answer anything with I dont know, Im not sure, I hope to. They like to hear direct planned goals for college and after.
I hope I dont have to stress to you to dress appropriately and do not watch the time. They do not respect you when your looking at a clock. Its their watch, not yours.

Michael

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips everyone.

*Dress nicely
*Be confident/look them in the eye
*Don't watch the clock
*Don't sound unsure

Sounds good....

Confidence. Also stress your strong points and avoid anything that sounds like an excuse. Is this a specific program you are interviewing for?
It's just an evaluative interview for general admissions.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Arrive early. I always try and arrive 10 minutes prior to an appointment. This shows that you're respectful of their schedule.

Don't forget the all important thing--TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONE! More people forget that their cell phone ringer is on, and nothing is worse than a ringing phone in the middle of an appointment. I switch the ringer off on my phone whenever I meet with clients, and get very irrate when others don't extend the same courtesy.

As others have stated before, don't answer with I don't know.

Stay calm, think for a second or two prior to answering any question-- It's better than saying "Um" or fumbling with an answer.

Proper posture says a lot about your confidence level. Keep your hands folded in your lap whenever possible. Too much gesticulation comes across as nervousness.

Remember a sense of humor. The interviewer may make a bit of a joke to see your response. A slight, quiet laugh will show you're not too uptight.

RELAX. No matter how stressful, it's only a temporary situation. YOU CAN DEAL WITH IT!

Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts