Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally diving into the hobby after a few years of uncertainty due to financial reasons. So today I went out and bought myself a 29 gallon tank, all the materials for construction of a false bottom and water feature. All that cost me a good amount, but for decor I was wondering about using native tree limbs in the area. I live in Ohio, there is a good number of oaks in the area. My question is what species of tree's should i use and how should i clean the wood once it is collected.

Thanks for all possible help.

Andy

·
Registered
561 Posts
Andy, do you live anywhere near lake Erie? You can get some really nice driftwood along the shoreline, especially near the mouths of creeks and rivers after the spring thaw. I usually soak the wood for a week or so in water then let it dry out again. If you are going to have it wet all the time, I'd suggest getting cypress, otherwise the driftwood works great. I picked up some really nice driftwood this weekend after I was done fishing.
Ed

·
Registered
220 Posts
My family has a cottage on the canadian side of erie on rondeau bay and I find tons of great wood there for terrariums but the problem is I live in california and the border control doesn't really like me bringing it back..but when I move back it should work. I have collected wood from some lakes here as well as the ocean and used it after good soakings. This has saved a bunch of money try it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts