Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with my anole's tank and the clean up crew. The end of July(30&31st) I removed the top 2 inches of the substrate, pulled the plants, removed the sides and background and put everything back with a few inches of fresh made substrate. The reason I removed it, I had way too many powdered orange and dwarf whites and springtails. I have hundreds again. I also have crickets breeding in there so I keep a dry bug chow to keep all gutloaded. The anoles do eat the powdered oranges too. I seed bsfl and normally add mealworms. Can I add a few dart frogs to the tank? I know nothing about them and very willing to learn if I could. Sadly the tank isn't tall, it's a 40g breeder 36x18x18 double door. My cats kept going through the tall reptibreeze. I have it set up to utilize much of the height that can be used, I even use light stands.

Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Green Pet supply

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mixing species is heavily discouraged on this forum. On top of this, Dart frogs aren't going to solve your problem is too many Isopods (I think that's the issue, correct me if I'm wrong).
Yes, too many isopods. I already added the stuff I took out to a huge tub of fresh substrate to( giving it away to family) my master colony has hundreds too.

I understand why cohabing is bad, I was just hoping it would work as the darts would be too big(hoping) for my anoles to eat and they couldn't eat my anoles.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yes, too many isopods. I already added the stuff I took out to a huge tub of fresh substrate to( giving it away to family) my master colony has hundreds too.

I understand why cohabing is bad, I was just hoping it would work as the darts would be too big(hoping) for my anoles to eat and they couldn't eat my anoles.
There's a lot of reasons not to do it. One, the two species don't have the exact same requirements. You have potential pathogen crossing. There is a chance an anole would eat one depending on the size of the frog. But really, frogs don't seem to really go after isopods. They'd be happy to destroy your springtail populations, but those isopod numbers are going to stay the same.

Is there a reason you're concerned about the number of isopods? The more the better IMO. Especially if the anoles are eating the oranges.

·
Administrator
4,523 Posts
@lunarminx , please enter the term 'mixing' into the search bar up top and read until your eyes fall out. There are so, so many reasons this is a terrible idea that would burn out keyboards retyping it all here.

This comment is only intended to get you the information that you need to make a truly informed decision about the health of your animals, and the health of any animals or environments those animals come into contact with in the future. Granted, that informed status would really only be reached after also reading enough about the captive needs of anoles and the very different captive needs of dart frogs, but hopefully that first search will be enough to head this off at the pass. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you really think you have too many isopods (not sure how, the more the better imo) then it's gonna be far easier and quicker to just make a simple trap or leave a chunk of food in the viv, wait for it to get covered in isopods, remove the trap/food and isopods, rinse repeat till population is at your preferred level. Not only is cohabbing dangerous for the animals involved, it's far from an efficient way to clean up a population of introduced inverts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not going to do a mixed tank, you all are so right. I'll just start culling them and freeze them for a few days. Thanks for the responses everyone.

·
Administrator
4,523 Posts
You could consider selling them locally, too. Keep in mind that shipping across US state lines requires a APHIS permit.

Also, virtually all 'dry bug chows' are not suitable "gutloads". If a product can be used as a routine food for insects, it is not a gutload, contrary to much misinformation out there. Sounds as if your anoles are not going to be properly supplemented given the current setup.

Possibly, stripping the viv, sterilizing everything, and starting over with controlled food inputs would be the best situation for the long term health of the anoles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's homemade bug food/gutload

Mazuri timothy hay guinea pig pellets, nutritional yeast, 1/3 bag of mazuri better gutload and bee pollen. To make sure my anoles get calcium, I mist with water that has fluker's liquid calcium, 3 times a day. Two areas of the tank also get fresh veggies ( we have two bearded dragons and guinea pigs).

Last year when I took them bioactive, I used two food ledges, they didn't like them and I lost one female. Now that they are hunting, my pair are doing wonderfully.

My male is all brown in the back behind my female. They look great to me

Plant Houseplant Terrestrial plant Grass Leaf vegetable

Plant Leaf Houseplant Terrestrial plant Flowerpot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts