Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a group of 4 terribilis in a 4x3x2 vivarium.
What would be a minimum number of cocohut needed and how many would be optimum?
Not sure of the sex of them all...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bumpage....

·
Registered
333 Posts
I know a couple people who's rule is one or two per female depending on the space you've got available. Since you don't know the exact number of females I'd go with one for each just to be safe. Mine tend to have their own territories and huts, even the males.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know a couple people who's rule is one or two per female depending on the space you've got available. Since you don't know the exact number of females I'd go with one for each just to be safe. Mine tend to have their own territories and huts, even the males.
Would you recommend cocohuts then even if not trying to breed them?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Would you recommend cocohuts then even if not trying to breed them?
Necro-thread! :eek:

All dart frogs appreciate cover so coconut huts can't hurt, but that being said, my Mints almost never use theirs, and only 1 out of 5 Blackfoots I have uses one with any regularity.

As far as breeding goes, the Blackfoots used a coconut hut twice, and don't seem to bother with it anymore, instead using leafy cover or overhangs created by wood ... occasionally not bothering with coverage at all.

But outside of breeding, terribilis still like to hide for purposes of rest, sleep -- and sometimes -- ambush. All of mine seem to show a distinct preference for leaf litter for all these purposes. (Yellows exclusively so far).

It's possible they feel more secure within the confines of leaf litter as they can feel the dead leaves all around their body, creating a tighter space wherein they can presumably feel the approach of potential prey or enemies.

*Edit: The best way to figure this out is to let the frogs decide, by giving them lots of choice and seeing what they use. Lots of leaf litter *and* coconut huts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Necro-thread! :eek:

All dart frogs appreciate cover so coconut huts can't hurt, but that being said, my Mints almost never use theirs, and only 1 out of 5 Blackfoots I have uses one with any regularity.

As far as breeding goes, the Blackfoots used a coconut hut twice, and don't seem to bother with it anymore, instead using leafy cover or overhangs created by wood ... occasionally not bothering with coverage at all.

But outside of breeding, terribilis still like to hide for purposes of rest, sleep -- and sometimes -- ambush. All of mine seem to show a distinct preference for leaf litter for all these purposes. (Yellows exclusively so far).

It's possible they feel more secure within the confines of leaf litter as they can feel the dead leaves all around their body, creating a tighter space wherein they can presumably feel the approach of potential prey or enemies.

*Edit: The best way to figure this out is to let the frogs decide, by giving them lots of choice and seeing what they use. Lots of leaf litter *and* coconut huts.

Ah sorry I really didnt mean to do that! Not sure how I ended up so far back in history. Ok - I'll make sure to include plenty of hiding places at a minimum - thanks for answering anyway!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ah sorry I really didnt mean to do that! Not sure how I ended up so far back in history. Ok - I'll make sure to include plenty of hiding places at a minimum - thanks for answering anyway!
No worries, it may be an old thread but you're on-topic.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I resurrect threads from time to time. Sometimes on purpose, and sometimes entirely accidentally.

My blackfoots laid exclusively in cocohuts, usually the exact same ones. I had a group of 3.2. I had 3 huts in my tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts