Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yep, Joshs has the "red" coco squares, but I had some of the darker brown ones before, but I cannot find them anymore. Keeping an eye on this thread, hopefully somebody can find these again.....

Got me looking, but I cant find anything in the US. Brand called Lucky Reptile Background from the UK on ebay (ships to US):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucky-Repti..._Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item3cb1a50e69

Also I know some plant shops use coco fiber plant liners...and might actually have rolls you can cut, but may be too skinny for what your looking for. Just throwing out ideas...hmm

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
apparently coco fiber squares at josh's frogs are brown on the back

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
No these are like nothing that are around now - I used them in the 90s and they're kind of like softer flexible large tree fern panels that last a LONG time, almost like really dense sponges.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
These used to come to the US from the same supplier that provided peat brick. As far as I know, that overseas supplier owes some people stateside money for goods never delivered, and disappeared off the face of the earth.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
While not ideal you can find 20"by 10" coconut huck backgrounds designed for hermit crabs for $5 at PetSmart. They are dark brown in color and while a little on the thin side work fairly well, especially if you get rid of the velcro strips they come with and use silicon instead.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yep, Joshs has the "red" coco squares, but I had some of the darker brown ones before, but I cannot find them anymore. Keeping an eye on this thread, hopefully somebody can find these again.....

Got me looking, but I cant find anything in the US. Brand called Lucky Reptile Background from the UK on ebay (ships to US):
Lucky Reptile Coco Background 30 cm | eBay

Also I know some plant shops use coco fiber plant liners...and might actually have rolls you can cut, but may be too skinny for what your looking for. Just throwing out ideas...hmm
Yea..those plant liners you can find at many of your hydroponic shops...you can buy them 4'x8' sheets..I believe you can get thin in different thickness from 1/4" to 1/2" or so...people like to use them to grow their " tomatoes" indoors!!!!!

·
Registered
732 Posts
I made my own by using the chunky coconut husk chips used in orchid mix and silicone. Applied a thick layer of silicone on the back of the tank and then mashed in the coconut husk into it. Of course it's not as thick as what you could purchase before but looks like it will support plant (vine in my case) growth up the back of the tank and covered very well.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Shawn, I'd encourage you to try EcoWeb panels. I've had great results with them, plants root in them beautifully, moss grows on it, and they don't biodegrade. They are also easy to cut and shape.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Any hydroponics shop will carry compressed coco mats.

I prefer the 1/4" thick, but there is also a 1" thick version.

The ones I buy come 8'x4' for $30.

I see Erik S already beat me to it :p

·
Registered
732 Posts
I looked back over my records and this is where I bought mine a few years back. Website says they are out of stock.

Pondside Herp Supply
1767-C South Patrick Drive
Indian Harbor Beach, FL 32937 USA

Phone: (321) 777-1155
Toll-Free: (866) 40-HERPS (43777)
(Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, EDT)
Fax: (321) 777-0150 (24 Hours)
Toll Free: 1-866-404-3777

E-mail: [email protected]

HerpSupplies.com - Reptile Supplies, Vivarium, Reptile Accessories, Reptile Habitat, Reptile Lighting, Zoo Med, Reptile Supply, Lizard Supplies, Reptarium, Rep-Cal, Flukers, Reptile Bedding, Fresh-Air Habitat, Reptile Heat Pads

·
Registered
797 Posts
I would 2nd the EcoWeb recommendation.

Just FYI - cut EcoWeb with a bread knife. I tried using surgical shears and almost got a blister. The bread knife went through much, much easier.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts