Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im gonna be setting up a large custom viv soon and Im gonna make it as natural as possible. Are coco panels a good choice if so how long do they last Id like a good five years or so out of them otherwise ill do a toleune/silicone peat Background thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
It seems that there is no real answer to which background is the most natural looking. Its all personal preference. If you are looking for a background that lasts a really long time then I would go with the great stuff method. Its really natural looking but the only issue with it is that it is a lot more work than the other methods(coco panel, cork flats, clay etc..).

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I ment natural I ment like no human products and suck but I think its gonna come down to the great stuff background thanks

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Have you considered cork bark (my favorite) or tree fern panels?

·
Registered
802 Posts
they are the red ones at josh's frogs They say they are tightly woven together and have a latex covering for longer life
Heres a link

http://www.joshsfrogs.com/accents/backgrounds/coco-fiber-12-square-red.html
Ive searched around for people who have used his in the past but I can't find any examples. They're not super attractive IMO(and what's with being red not brown...?) but once plants fill in over it I'm sure it would look good.

I've been looking at these for a while, but just can't justify the $8 shipping for a $2 panel... Maybe I'll get lucky and someone local will split an order with me.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Pumilo I might use cork bark I do like the look but that would be allot of cork for size tank ill be building. I'm Gonna have a large main root structure in the middle That will take up a good amount of space but still leave a considerable amount of background left for me to fill. I might just do the good great stuff method or probably the tolene/silicone/peat( with a little cork). Im not to worried though about the background beacuse im gonna have allot of plants on it to fill it in. Thats why I wanted to use the coco panels they were cheap and last a while and plants groww good onn them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts