Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could buy two whole coconuts for the price they want for half a shell with a hole drilled in it at the pet store. What's the best way to make your own without splitting or cracking it in the wrong places?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Juts let it crack, it doesnt need to be perfect, unless you have some type of saw. Here i pic them off a tree in my backyard and just crack em open with a hatchet, but first drill a hole (you can just poke it with a hammer and a screw driver) and drink the water. Use a knife to get the meat out.
This is my fav way of getting coconuts, free hiding place, and free food.

Ryan

G

·
somoene suggested that giving a split coconut to the dog to use as a chew toy was a great way to clean it. i tried it and they were right! took him about 4 hours, but the thing is pristine! will still bake to sterilize, but all i did was crack it in half with an axe.

G

·
Oh i forgot to note, i have an american bulldog that weighs in at about 110lbs and has an obsession with chewing on things. i dont think a small dog would be able to clean them as well.

G

·
Homemade Coco Huts

I did some research (on the web, of course) and discovered that the best way to remove the meat from a coconut is to bake the two halves in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour. It dries out the meat enough to shrink it and you can run a knife or fork around it and pull it all out at once.

I tried this last night and my little huts came out great! 8)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
guppygal wrote:

I did some research (on the web, of course) and discovered that the best way to remove the meat from a coconut is to bake the two halves in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour. It dries out the meat enough to shrink it and you can run a knife or fork around it and pull it all out at once.

I tried this last night and my little huts came out great!
When you baked them, did you have any trouble with smoke or burning?

G

·
No smell or burning, to my surprise. I think the idea is to heat it long enough to dehydrate the meat so that it's easier to pull out. Hey, I would've eaten it if it hadn't been so rancid! I love fresh coconut!

You could probably bake it at a lower temperature for a longer period, but 400 degrees for an hour worked for me. I have a gas oven.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts