Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize many people have done this in one way or another. I plan on using 2 clay pot bottoms and 2 pill jars side by side between. On the top clay bottom I will have the traditional Coco-Hut with Petri. My theory is the 2 levels of clay will intensify humidity and make it a very suitable egg deposition site. Pic will be supplied. All my thanks for suggestions and input!

JBear

Attachments

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
so the top hut is made of paper? ;) i dont know if that sort of material would be conducive to your breeding efforts. i suggest getting one made from the shell of a coconut as it will IMO last longer than the paper one.

best of luck
james

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so the top hut is made of paper? ;)

james
I would try it, but the humidity and mistings wouldn't be good... Thanks for the laugh!

Any thoughts on the concept?

JBear

·
Registered
120 Posts
I realize many people have done this in one way or another. I plan on using 2 clay pot bottoms and 2 pill jars side by side between. On the top clay bottom I will have the traditional Coco-Hut with Petri. My theory is the 2 levels of clay will intensify humidity and make it a very suitable egg deposition site. Pic will be supplied. All my thanks for suggestions and input!

JBear
I think I'm lost. You want them to only lay under the top coco hut right? And how does 2 layers of clay make that top site more humid? I think what you would want to go for, is a coco hut lined with some spanish cedar (check to see if this doesnt hurt the froggers) but spanish cedar holds humidity quite well which is why its used in cigar boxes.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'm lost. You want them to only lay under the top coco hut right?
I want them to utilize both areas as egg deposition sites. I believe that it will be very humid between the clay where the 2 pill jars will be. I am not too worried about pulling the eggs. Thanks for the feedback.

JBear

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Not to be a party poop...but I don't think it'd work. Once you put the petri dish under the hut, that would block the majority of the humidity coming from the terra cotta. Besides, wouldn't the substrate that they're usually on hold more moisture than the terra cotta which "breathes" more?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I don't understand, is that bottom part buried under the substrate?
No.... he's saying if you stack them, you get bonus deposition sites without losing floorspace. Frog hotel style..

It would probably also work with a shallow gladware container with a hole in it (making sure the edges aren't sharp of course).... or one of those cube-shaped coconuts that don't exist. Burying the pill jars in the background @ ground level would be a similar option.

Reasons I was thinking gladware- Checking for eggs would be extra easy, just pop the lid off... it would probably be even more humid, and you could still stack a cocohut on top. You could also probably use the silicone/coco method to camoflage it if it were flipped over.. I'm assuming the stuff is food grade plastic, or I'm in more trouble than the frogs would be.

I like where your head is at with the idea of adding breeding sites & hides without sacrificing floorspace, but IMO we can probably come up with a way to make it look more discreet and less like something that launches torpedoes :D

·
Registered
995 Posts
tclipse, you mean something like this?

I think that would work actually, you could even bury the bottom part and just disguise the top, or have it small enough so that the cocohut fits ontop/over the container lid [like a petri dish]...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts