Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm curious as to how long I need to keep the tank sealed lol

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the little mother (explicit) are still in there crawling around and now my viv wreaks of vinegar.....like bad.....so bad i can't open it.
The leaves and everything smell of vinegar -____________-
Idk if I even wanna try bombing again.
The viv didn't even fill up with co2 like he said unless i couldn't see it yet he says in the thread you can see it....lol idk.
I followed the instructions but it doesn't look like it worked so far. so I am keeping it sealed up all night and hopefully they all die.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they are still around -_________________-

here is some macro pic of the bugs so I can try to get an ID.
No they are not springtails. the adults are half the size of adult springtails and these bugs have a metallic appearance.

also I think the vinegar burned my pepperomia and my arrowhead plant.
well I'm certain it did cause that's where tiny droplets were falling.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
they look like springs to me. I wouldent worry too much. The only bugs I get bothered by is snails (bc they eat my leaves)

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
i still have no idea why your so intent on killing everything in your tank. its just not going to happen, and why would your want to? those look like springtails, and a nice established colony at that. thats food for your frogs. dont keep trying to kill them.

virtually all tanks get unexpected microfauna, just like almost all tanks get molds growing in them. trying to fight that is pointless IMO.

james

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i still have no idea why your so intent on killing everything in your tank. its just not going to happen, and why would your want to? those look like springtails, and a nice established colony at that. thats food for your frogs. dont keep trying to kill them.

virtually all tanks get unexpected microfauna, just like almost all tanks get molds growing in them. trying to fight that is pointless IMO.

james
they are eating at my pepperomias and they aren't springtails. -_-
I know what springs look like and these guys are metallic and are tear dropped shaped.
I wish they was springs and leave my damn pepperomia alone

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
i somehow doubt they are eating your peperomia

and springtails can be metallic. i culture a really tiny type of springtail that i call pearl springs because they have a metallic sort of iridescence to them.

there are all different types of springtails and they dont all look like the whites.

james

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they look like springs to me. I wouldent worry too much. The only bugs I get bothered by is snails (bc they eat my leaves)
well I have noticed holes in one of my pepperomias or maybe it was just decay on the leaf.
these guys sure aren't cleaning up the mold in my viv lol.
bombing would have killed springs but these guys are still kicking.

like I said the adults are half the size of adult springtails.
just wanting to make it clear that these guys aren't springtails.
I showed fieldnstream some when i met up with him at Repticon and even he said they wasn't springtails.

thanks for replying tho everyone.
they are crap pics anyway.

I think I will leave them alone for now but if they start eating away at a plant to where it's noticeable they gotta go.

any suggestions on certain food items that might narrow it down?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i somehow doubt they are eating your peperomia

and springtails can be metallic. i culture a really tiny type of springtail that i call pearl springs because they have a metallic sort of iridescence to them.

there are all different types of springtails and they dont all look like the whites.

james
yeah well I don't know what all springs look like :p
I think I will leave them be for now maybe it was just decay on the leaf.

any idea on some food chices that would really narrow it down?
btw these bugs came from plants at Lowes and are native to GA.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Those are some nice sprintail pictures ;) seriously though, those are springs. I have atleast 5 different types in some of my tanks and they all vary in size and color, and some are that shape as well.

Perhaps your peperomia has leaves dieing (as all plants do at times) and these guys are feasting on them. Shouldn't harm your plants or frogs. In fact, they will help both.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Taking a closer look, those are springtails. Long, narrow body with 2 "antennaes".

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
well these bugs are native to Georgia.
they came from around here so do springtails in the US on the east coast look like that?

edit:
well I've been doing some research lol

http://myrmecos.wordpress.com/2008/03/09/miniature-trap-jaw-ants/

http://www.e-bug.net/forum/messages/7058.shtml

the ones in my viv don't have the furcula or maybe I just cant see them.
the furcula is the thing that sticks out of the back of their body that is forked

http://perfectgardeners.com/learn/?p=ittvavwaw&paged=18

wow I just found an awesome site.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/14529

I'm sorry everyone I didn't realize there was such a vast array of springtails.
Maybe next time someone should mention that they look different in many way lol :p Like the dude did...that's what got me researching lol.
they look nothing like the ones in my culture whatsoever.
I shouldn't have thought that there was only a few kinds cause as everyone should know about insects and is that there is a bunch of different kinds of one species lol well that applies to many living things on the planet.
but trust me if you saw them in person you wouldn't think they were springtails.
even Field/fieldnstream didn't think they was springtails along with a lot of others at Repticon.
I took a leaf with me that had a bunch on there hoping someone could ID the bugs and everyone said they didn't think they were springtails.

I'm going to pull one later and get a closer look using a magnifying glass see if I can see the furcula.
I'm not doubting you guys and from the pics above i think it's a springtail.

Taking a closer look, those are springtails. Long, narrow body with 2 "antennaes".
you do realize how many different bugs in the world fit this description, right? xD :p

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Those look different than the bugs you brought to repticon...they really do look like springs. Remember that the ABG you got from me was seeded with pink and white springs, so you should have plenty of springs in the viv. Compare your pic to this pic I took of some springs:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Those look different than the bugs you brought to repticon...they really do look like springs. Remember that the ABG you got from me was seeded with pink and white springs, so you should have plenty of springs in the viv. Compare your pic to this pic I took of some springs:
yeah that's what I keep trying to tell them man lol.
I haven't noticed any kinds of springs in there tho :(
your pic looks nothing like the bugs in my viv.
Hopefully the springs will show up but I think if they was going to they would have by now wouldn't they?

·
Banned
851 Posts
Do the same thing over except use dry ice and water. It doesn't smell and does the trick way better.

Taron

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do the same thing over except use dry ice and water. It doesn't smell and does the trick way better.

Taron
Yeah I was thinking about this but with it being a 10 gallon tank would i run the risk of freezing my plants?
there are some plants that aren't far from the top of the viv and I'm concerned they may freeze

1 - 20 of 34 Posts