Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this question has been posted here before, but I can't seem to find it. I have a 55 gallon aquarium that used to house my ex-gfs iguana. I got rid of her and the stupid iguana but I kept the tank and stand. :)

Anyway, there was a nice piece of wood in there for the iguana to climb on. I would really like to use it as well as the aquarium to house dart frogs. I hope to have water running down the piece of wood, using the black jungle great stuff method.

What would be safe to clean the wood and aquarium with that I can be sure will disinfect anything left over from the iguana?

·
Registered
793 Posts
It depends on the kind of wood. If its driftwood then sure, you can clean it and re-use it in my opinion. But if its grapewood, then i wouldn't suggest it. That stuff rots like crazy in a humid and moist environment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I second the grapewood comment. If its grapewood, do yourself a favor and throw it in the trash. It will not hold up to the wet environment of a dart viv, especially if you plan on running water down it. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Black Jungle sells it, but does not recommend it for use in wet environments. They have a whole section devoted to wood suitable for wet environments and grapewood is not in that section. It really will just rot away and its not pretty when that happens.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure what kind of wood it is. It came with the aquarium. To be safe, I will throw it out.

Anyone got any ideas on what I should clean the aquarium with? I want to be sure nothing is left over from the iguana, but I also want to be sure nothing is left over from what I clean it with.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Just clean it with diluted bleach. Use 1 part bleach for around 20 parts water. The bleach will evaporate if you let the tank sit dry for a day or two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts