Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
First off, let me say, great forum.
I am looking into making a vivarium and getting a couple of frogs. Currently, I have one green anole, and I have to clean the terrarium about once a month. Is the cleaning scheduale the same for frogs? It seems to me the since the vivarium would have lots of live plants, and possibly a water feature that it would be quite a hassle to clean, without disturbing the plants and animals.
Thanks!
-Beeswaxx

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It is unnecessary to do frequent vivarium cleanings if it is properly set up, I have had set ups do fine for over two years. The plants and microfauna help break up waste, the only maintenance you will most likely have to do is drain off excess water,

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I agree. The beauty of a well set up PDF terrarium is the low maintenance (compared to our aquatic turtles and bearded dragon it seems like zero maintenance :wink: ).

Elmo

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. Sounds like my kinda set up.
After I posted this, I remembered some more questions. Now lets see if I can remember them...
Oh. Is there any noticable smell, from either the vivarium or the fruit flys? I would assume there would be from the fruit flies. Also, what is the best way to "grow" the fruitflies?

Edit:
Just remembered another question. What should I use for the top? I currently have a screen lid with a repti-sun 5.0 UV flourescent bulb, and a heat lamp sitting on top. What would you recommend?

Thanks very much.
-Beeswaxx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts