Dendroboard banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Several years ago I was given an aquarium that had severe hard water stains. I mean it was tough to look through. This tank had literally sat half full in someone’s garage until all of the water had evaporated. But I figured that I could make it presentable by using some of my standard tricks (like vinegar). Well, this ended up being tougher than I thought. I wiped, scrubbed, and ultimately used a few things that I would not recommend (CLR and much harsher), considering what this tank would soon become home to. I never did get the glass very clear, but I made it into a viv anyway.

Fast-forward a few years (to a couple of days ago). The tank is well planted with happy inhabitants, very stable and has been for a couple of years. But when I looked at the nice clear glass of my other vivs, I began to think about breaking this one down.

So this past weekend, I was cleaning the water stained leaves of an orchid that I had just purchased using freshly- squeezed lemon juice. I’ve had done this for years to clean stained, thick-leaved plants that I acquire from careless nurseries. Then it hit me! I have no idea why I didn’t try this before!

I dipped a cotton ball into the bowl of lemon juice, squeezed out the excess, and wiped the inside of the still badly stained viv, and then I wiped it with a moist paper towel and then a dry one. Guess what?

It #@*! SPARKLES!!!

A lot of you may have already known about this, but for those who didn’t, I hope it helps!
Thanks so much!! I just got two old tanks for about $95. both are heavily crusted with gunk and calcium. I was worried about how I was going to clean thme. I stumbled across this post and I just about jumped with excitement. My wife loves lemons and lemon juice. we always have some around the house. What a GREAT tip! Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Question though. Obviously the stains are caused by hard water, but wouldnt it be a bit easier in the long run to just use spring water? I only use that and I have never had any problems with scaling and such. Is there a benefit to using hard water or is it just a cost concern?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Question though. Obviously the stains are caused by hard water, but wouldnt it be a bit easier in the long run to just use spring water? I only use that and I have never had any problems with scaling and such. Is there a benefit to using hard water or is it just a cost concern?
There is no guarantee that it won't happen with spring water as the phrase spring water is not regulated and in fact a number of companies sell tap water as bottled spring water. You may be using a brand with less dissolved minerals in it or due to how you are caring for the tank, getting less deposits.

Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, this works great! I was a bit skeptical, since things supposed to "work like magic" never do- but this does! It takes a bit of elbow grease in some areas, but yay!!! I shared my new insight with a friend who has been keeping reptiles and fish for years longer than me- and he already knew! (this earned him a tongue-stick-out since he's sold me multiple tanks with water residue and never hinted to me how best to solve the problem- lol)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I put a tank together and never really paid to much attention to the hard water stains, until I put it together. The lighting showed how bad it really was. I did some investigating, including on here. This thread was most helpful. Another solution I came across was Bar keepers friend. I haven't tried it, but there are a few video's on youtube that show how well it works. My big concern is the health of the frogs with all of these. My tanks planted, but no frogs for a couple weeks. What ever I use, it will be controlled to only be on the sections of glass, and not get on anything in the tank. I'll post on what I use and how well it works.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Baking soda would just neutralize the acid and render your cleaner ineffective.

Thankyou so much for this suggestion. I tried the Lemon, Coke, and Vinigar. I even threw some baking soda in for good measure. Nothing worked. Finally i tried the cooktop cleaner, and I didnt even scrub long. I'll probably try the lemon on a cotton ball for quick clean ups after its planted and the frog is settled in. Thanks again for the tip.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts