Dendroboard banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this is simply a derivation of what many people do to dust food items, but I thought I'd post my process with a couple pictures because I'm new, I like this method, and I figure there's likely some other newbies out there that this might help.

I cut the top off a 2-liter soda bottle (about 4 inches).

Cut the top-most flat portion off the cap.

Screw the cap back on with a portion of no-see-um mesh in between.

I keep a little supplement dust in a container with a lid (to keep it fresh and dry). I pour some flies into the dust container, swirl, and funnel-strain onto the lid. This keeps all the flies in an easy dispenser, and the excess supplement can be placed back into the container with the lid.

This seems faster and easier than slowly tapping the flies out of the original dusting container. I know isopods end up eating excess supplement that spills into the vivarium, but this method keeps it off my plants and such.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
That's a good idea with the mesh to eliminate some of the excess powder. It's always annoying for me when there are one or two flies left in the cup, but I can't dump just the flies without having the powder supplements go all over the viv and plants, too. Thanks for the idea!
Bryan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts