Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time buying a clay culture. I plan to let them grow for a bit since there's not that many. When I got the culture about a week ago, the clay was not cracked. But now it is and there's lots of condensation on the lid. Is this what's supposed to happen? Do I need to add any water?

I added a tiny bit of springtail food (the powder sprinkled in the corner. Not knowing if the clay is food, or if I have to feed them. Figured it couldn't hurt.

Is there anything else I need to do? Add water? Leave it alone? Do I need to feed or is the clay their food?
Liquid Tableware Drinkware Ice cube Ingredient

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thats probably a lot of food since I don't really see any springtails, I would remove some. You should mist the clay(not soaked just moist). It does seem springtails will consume some clay in the right circumstances but you will need to need to supplement food. Active yeast, fish food, mushrooms, among others are good items to feed.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Mist every 2 weeks or so, cracks indicate it is drying out a bit too much.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where did you get the culture from? If you don't mind me asking.
This came from Houston frogs. It's intended to be my starter culture that I'll begin seeding other clay cultures with. But I'm learning that I'm still learning 😂😂😂

·
Registered
763 Posts
This came from Houston frogs. It's intended to be my starter culture that I'll begin seeding other clay cultures with. But I'm learning that I'm still learning 😂😂😂
This is not vendor feedback:

I would not buy cultures from them again. When you purchase a culture, especially a clay culture, they should be booming. Loss during shipment with charcoal cultures is pretty common but clay cultures ship well. There is at least one hobbyist selling great clay cultures.

·
Registered
763 Posts
@Karen S. I would contact Houston Frogs. They would probably like to fix this for you. You shouldn't have to pay that much for 12 springtails.

·
Registered
848 Posts
@Karen S. I would contact Houston Frogs. They would probably like to fix this for you. You shouldn't have to pay that much for 12 springtails.
@JasonE is correct, a clay culture should be absolutely booming. You should not be able to even think about counting how many are in there.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's really helpful, thanks so much. I will give them a call. I honestly assumed it was normal & they needed to "grow in". Much appreciated!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@JasonE is correct, a clay culture should be absolutely booming. You should not be able to even think about counting how many are in there.
Wow okay, thank you so much. I'll definitely be calling.

Tbh though, I'll probably have my husband call. I have this phobia of being a "Karen" like a legit complex about it now 😂😭 I have a hard time complaining about an order no matter what it is lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is not vendor feedback:

I would not buy cultures from them again. When you purchase a culture, especially a clay culture, they should be booming. Loss during shipment with charcoal cultures is pretty common but clay cultures ship well. There is at least one hobbyist selling great clay cultures.
@JasonE Where can I buy clay or a clay culture with springtails? I was going to buy from houston but for some reason...i didn't. So im hoping you can lead me in the best direction you know.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@JasonE Where can I buy clay or a clay culture with springtails? I was going to buy from houston but for some reason...i didn't. So im hoping you can lead me in the best direction you know.
Frog daddy sells good ones I've heard. I didn't order from them because I was already ordering something I wanted on Houston frogs

·
Registered
763 Posts
I get mine from another hobbyist. You can PM me if you want his info.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I added a tiny bit of springtail food (the powder sprinkled in the corner. Not knowing if the clay is food, or if I have to feed them. Figured it couldn't hurt.
I missed this the first time. I cringe whenever I read "springtail food." Those springtail foods usually contain multiple ingredients that attract mites. Active dry yeast is the best food for springs. First, it's a fungus and they love those. But mites don't eat yeast so you're not putting your cultures at risk.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I missed this the first time. I cringe whenever I read "springtail food." Those springtail foods usually contain multiple ingredients that attract mites. Active dry yeast is the best food for springs. First, it's a fungus and they love those. But mites don't eat yeast so you're not putting your cultures at risk.
To be clear, the springtails don't eat the yeast really, they eat the mold that quickly populates when the yeast combines with moisture. At least this is my understanding.

·
Registered
763 Posts
To be clear, the springtails don't eat the yeast really, they eat the mold that quickly populates when the yeast combines with moisture. At least this is my understanding.
That sounds good too. Either way, it's the best food for them.

·
Registered
848 Posts
That sounds good too. Either way, it's the best food for them.
I use it as my primary food as well. Cheap and works extremely well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts