Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not sure if this was discussed but i've found that running a water feature (drip wall) over a clay backround will establish a film between the clay and water protecting the clay..

However my question is how long does the water stay murky and smokey colored? i used the blue bag of dr. easleys kitty litter. it seemed to be well recommended, so i gave it a shot. toyed with different consistencies and found what seemed good. but the water is so nasty looking haha.

this is normal right? this is my first clay build, just couldnt find anything about it distorting the water clarity.:eek:

·
Registered
635 Posts
What i read is that you shouldnt run water over clay at all. Just because the clay gets very mushy and will fall off the glass. The water will get murky as a result of the water running off the clay. I would recommend putting something over that clay so the water doesnt get in touch with the clay. Example a piece of wood.

Is your water a brownish color? If so, the substrate carries tannin's;therefore, the water getting in contact and filtering through the substrate gets you the brownish color. Which is perfectly harmless.

Another reason for your water to be murky is a result of not washing your hydroton balls if you used any.

To my understanding, if you use organics in your clay mix, it will establish a biofilm. So if you mist the clay so it wont dry up, overtime the organics in your mix will stick to your glass

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Depending on the proportion of sodium bentonite in the kitty litter, you will have a lot of problems getting a stable drip wall unless you really take time to establish the microbial fauna in the drip wall. This can literally take months.

I've done clay dripwalls using calcium bentonite and red art clay.

Ed

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up removing some clay, and placing a cork panel in its place. In turn, the pump crapped out on me. 2hrs of run time and it gummed it up that bad. When I get home from work I'll be siphoning out the water, starting over with clean water and a fresh pump.

·
Registered
169 Posts
why does every one love the water features ? i think i must be missing something?
Bruce Lee said it best... "Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless —like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend."

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've no experience with this but I've seen multiple people post about how certain species are drawn to moving water and that it may help with breeding.

And they look cool.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
A. bassleri was one that was "thought" to only breed if a water source was present. however that was proven wrong. when i bought mine from mark, elaine assured me that they didnt need any water feature to breed theirs. however i do understand that if you are building a viv that is for the frog that you have selected i understand. was looking for insight on the must have water feature :)
also i just hate clay backgrounds now willing to try clay substrates .... well see how this goes :?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts