Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to do Grimms clay background method using special kitty clay unscented kitty litter. I let it sit over night from 6pm to now 9pm the next day and it still has alot of large chunks. i tried to mush it with my hands and some mush but most wont.. How do i get it smooth and clay texture without chunks?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah i tried that one too. No success either...K-mart carries one that will work , just cant remember the name . But it was no odor , and about 12 bucks. Once the clay is in the tank always keep the humidity 100% or the clay cracks severely .

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I had the same issue with the special kitty...I let it sit for like 4 days and still had problems. Luckily its really cheap, I saved the rest to soak up any spillage when I change my oil. I ended up getting Dr. Elsleys and it worked great. I let it soak for a couple of days (though it probably doesn't really need to be that long) and it became an almost homogenized mixture. I have had some cracking though, so be aware of that. I'm planning on doing the redart mixture next time since it seems to be so much better, just having trouble locating supplies locally. Good luck with your background.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any more suggestions or is every one saying use a different kitty litter? i mean do you have to used a tool to mash this stuff or ?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I have not nor do I intend to ever use kitty litter but if you search all of the threads about kittly litter you would see that there is a wide variation in success both between and within brands due to either differences in thier manufacturing process or thier materials.

Ed

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I have not nor do I intend to ever use kitty litter but if you search all of the threads about kittly litter you would see that there is a wide variation in success both between and within brands due to either differences in thier manufacturing process or thier materials.

Ed
That's because it is cheap, cheap, cheap!! It's made for cat's to #$#& in! They buy whatever bentonite clay materials happen to be cheapest. One batch works and the next doesn't.
A much better clay formula would be based on Redart with a little Bentonite mixed in. There is a decent recipe here. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/60340-my-first-clay-backgrounds-4.html
I've been getting some questions about my clay formula. PMs are always welcome, but here it is in a little more detail.

Do NOT use the clay mix I mention early on. It has too many organics for long life. I anticipate that as the organics decompose, it will cavitate and eventually collapse. I am now using this mixture. 75 percent Redart dry powdered clay from any pottery supply store. 25 percent powdered Bentonite (sodium or Calcium) clay. Now into this I mix in 25 percent organics (peat, coco fiber, ground up sphagnum...any or a mix). I like to mix this dry and then add water until it reaches the consistancy of modeling clay. I also much prefer the color of this clay mix. It's a nice reddish brown instead of gray like everybodys kitty litter mix. I really don't get that stuff! Cat's crap in it! Do you really think they care about the quality of the clay they use in kitty litter? They buy whatever is cheapest that week. They make the scented in the same factory as the unscented. How much perfume dust is left in the machinery when they run the unscented batch? I'll post they clay walls of my new vivs when they are finished.
Doug

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
called every local pottery store and art supply store and no redart clay.. guess im buying it online,,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts